M715 Zone

M715 Zone (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/index.php)
-   Stock Tech (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Heater core? (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29631)

TJinSD May 14th, 2019 11:54 AM

Heater core?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if this belongs in Stock or Modified because I haven't decided yet if the outside heater parts are military. The inside parts aren't because of vacuum controls. But anyway, on to the question...

What the heck is this? Heater core? Transmission cooler? I don't know.

Nailhead May 15th, 2019 06:31 AM

Looks like an oil cooler to me.

TJinSD May 15th, 2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailhead (Post 270223)
Looks like an oil cooler to me.

That's what I thought! But I'm not sure if original heater cores were like this.
Pro: It makes heat. Probably would never get blocked with crud, there's no place for it to settle.
Con: I think it leaks sometimes. But that can be fixed. Maybe a normal heater core would make more heat?
I'm not sure what to think about this thing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

kyken May 15th, 2019 04:39 PM

I've taken apart 2 heaters to put one together for my truck. One had a brass core and the other was a copper/aluminum as your pic above. I though it was strange too.

TJinSD May 15th, 2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyken (Post 270225)
I've taken apart 2 heaters to put one together for my truck. One had a brass core and the other was a copper/aluminum as your pic above. I though it was strange too.

Ah-ha! What are the odds that 2 people modified oil coolers to use as heater cores? I think I'll take it to my radiator guy and hope he doesn't laugh me out of the place.
This thing just doesn't look like 1968 technology. But maybe it is 1968 military technology.

Don Cavey May 16th, 2019 07:26 AM

I went to NAPA (or O'Reilly maybe) and got a replacement heater core for a J-Series Jeep. It is supposed to be an exact fit but is a little off but I am sure it will work. Eventually, I will offer it up here since I got an NOS heater core that I will be installing in my M-715. So, that could be an option.

TJinSD May 16th, 2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Cavey (Post 270232)
I went to NAPA (or O'Reilly maybe) and got a replacement heater core for a J-Series Jeep. It is supposed to be an exact fit but is a little off but I am sure it will work. Eventually, I will offer it up here since I got an NOS heater core that I will be installing in my M-715. So, that could be an option.

You found a nos core??? What does it look like? Tanks on top and bottom, or this oil cooler looking thing?

Don Cavey May 16th, 2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJinSD (Post 270233)
You found a nos core??? What does it look like? Tanks on top and bottom, or this oil cooler looking thing?

If you give me a couple days, I will be happy to take pictures. Yes, I have an NOS core and heater, and control cables etc.

TJinSD May 16th, 2019 02:45 PM

... and control cables. Ohhhhhh...

[emoji3526]

Don Cavey May 16th, 2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJinSD (Post 270236)
... and control cables. Ohhhhhh...

[emoji3526]

Believe me, not cheap and it took almost a decade to assemble this group of parts. Think about it, I live in Florida. Do I need it? Yes. Why, defrost... The windscreen can get nasty...