M715 Zone

M715 Zone (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/index.php)
-   Stock Tech Archives (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What did I get myself into!!!! (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2400)

Nuke_littlejohn May 21st, 2004 05:00 PM

What did I get myself into!!!!

When I purchased my M715 about two weeks ago I knew it was not running right. Well I went through the normal little things like Plugs,wires,new dist.,points,cond.,cap,rotor,adjusted carb,new pcv,new fuel filter, and no matter what I did "no good". Now I am a backyard mech. so I did have it in the back of my head to check the compression but I was hoping to catch the problem elswhere. You may have guessed I went and checked it and it doesnt look good #1 170 #2 160 #3 170 #4 0 #5 0 #6 175 ..... I was hoping not to have to rebuild a motor right now but it looks like the first leg to a rebuild. I am going to pull the head soon to see whats going on but if any of you guys have anyother ideas I would love to hear from you.....

It just seems like if I get a vehicle that looks like crap it run great but if it looks great it runs like crap!!! :roll:

Nuke_mcinfantry May 21st, 2004 05:06 PM

head gasket, BUT MAYBE it could be valves. or cam

brute4c May 21st, 2004 05:09 PM

I'd pul the head...., them is ugly numbers.....unfortunately I would be quite concerned it may be dead....
One thing that I do, probably others do too, when I'm looking at something to buy it is to crank the motor and see if it cranks even....if it cranks:
rr--rr--rr--rr--rr--rr
then the compression is even between the cylinders....if it goes
rr--rr-rr-rr--rr--rr
then there is a compression problem.....it goes faster and slower on cylinders with more or less pressure due to the resistance differences...it also tends to go higher and lower in pitch as it picks up speed and slows....
Just a thought....
brute4c

Nuke_littlejohn May 21st, 2004 05:10 PM

Is the civvy head gasket the same? Valves? Cam?

brute4c May 21st, 2004 05:16 PM

All that is the same....only difference in the 2 is the head itself...chamber differences between different compression ratios and different bolt patterns on the front of them for different timing covers....gaskets, rocker gear, cam deck, cam, bearings, etc. all the same.
brute4c

Nuke_littlejohn May 21st, 2004 05:22 PM

If I have to rebuild, are their any upgrades like better cam , pistons ect.?

Nuke_mcinfantry May 21st, 2004 05:38 PM

not that im aware of. cheapest parts kit i could find was 1500!

Nuke_littlejohn May 21st, 2004 06:16 PM

Dude that hurt :shock: Are you talking american dollars :!: Man I miss my Deuce :roll:

Mikel May 21st, 2004 06:28 PM

Try blowing air into #4 cyl and see if it comes out of #5.

Can head gaskets still be found for these things?? AB Linn?

Nuke_68bhs715 May 21st, 2004 06:46 PM

Kanter Auto Products (www.kanter.com) has the "standard" rebuild kit for $820, and the "deluxe" (adds valves and valve guides) for $1020. You can also buy the parts separately if you don't need the whole kit. Good Luck.