M715 Zone

M715 Zone (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/index.php)
-   Open Discussion Archives (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Oil & T-Case (http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1870)

law March 25th, 2004 07:42 AM

I read an interesting chain of comments on the internet that I thought I would share w/ this group. The site: http://www.eng-tips.com/gviewthread....d/89/qid/59275

Of particular interest: When the oil in a transfer case gets really hot, there are two possibilities: too high a viscosity and too high the oil level. Under both conditions excessive churning of the lubricant may lead to a substantial temperature rise that may shorten the lubricant life substantially.

brute4c March 25th, 2004 09:47 AM

I run 75W-90 synthetic lube filled to the exact manufacturer spec, 2 1/4 quarts, bottom of the fill hole on flat ground, and have seen my tcase temp gauge go above 320 degrees...end of the dial....must be more reasons than those 2...
brute4c

bump_r March 25th, 2004 10:48 AM

The too-high of a level could result in aeration - not a very efficient medium for heat dissipation. I'd suggest that this aeration, combined with an inefficient design to start with puts us in a position to simply expect high temps. The heavy cast iro case helps noe, either. Bottom line - It's probably a combination of little factors that builds into a big issue. A remote cooler or swap seems to be the only fixes.

law March 26th, 2004 05:28 AM

used winch - what is fair price?

Yes, I too believe that is a design and/or manufacturing issue w/ many of our T-cases. I have read on this site in the past where persons have overfilled there in an attempt to keep them cool. According to the information in the article, they may have made their condition worse. Also, moving to a heavier weight oil to combat viscosity breakdown seem a reasonable -but after reading, this too may make the condition worse.

Nuke_spicergear March 26th, 2004 05:33 AM

I wonder if a guy could run some of that sick high temp ford automatic tranny fluid in the NP200? Some of the 'chain' cases run auto fluid.

??

brute4c March 26th, 2004 07:19 AM

Leaks out the seals like water...just too thin...AB Linn once told me someone had tried it but had to keep filling the thing every 20 minutes or so....exaggerated but you get the drift...
brute4c

Nuke_spicergear March 26th, 2004 07:47 AM

Ya know, if ya get later style seals they're about half as thin and you could double them up. ATF would pump through any pump cooler that someone could make up too.

brute4c March 26th, 2004 08:06 AM

As long as it sealed....seems it would have a chance...

Nuke_spicergear March 26th, 2004 09:17 AM

Yeah, so what could happen? It could overheat or burn a seal? LOL! It would be nice and clean after that ATF bath.

brute4c March 26th, 2004 09:21 AM

If it leaked enough you might be in violation of some EPA reg about pollutants....might have to file an Environmental Impact Statement just to pull out of the driveway...could be lots of fun!!
brute4c

Nuke_spicergear March 26th, 2004 12:14 PM

Hmm, maybe thin oil being circulated and kept cool would be better than thick oil...kept hot. I'm SURE a seal could be found.

Doug March 26th, 2004 12:19 PM

I did look at some viacosity/temp charts for atf/ps fliud vs hot gear oil a long time ago with similar thoughts in mind. It was interestiing how close they were.

LuckyPabst March 26th, 2004 03:44 PM

I'd think ATF would be too thin to do any good at the gear tooth to tooth contact area.

Chris

kalikraven March 27th, 2004 11:02 AM

Has anyone tried putting in some Lucas Oil additive? You know that type that has the little display at the auto parts store that has me spinning the little wheels for hours watching the oil climb up the gears, until my girlfriend slaps me on the back of the head and brings me back to reality???

Barrman March 27th, 2004 07:21 PM

My son loves to spin the handle on those displays.

brute4c March 28th, 2004 12:07 PM

Yes, a couple of us have tried Lucas in the tcase...after driving for an hour or a little more in the summer at 60 MPH, stop and get out, open the hood and smell the lucas/gear oil combo coming out the tcase vent. It actually boils at a lower temp than the 75W90 synthetic I run...
brute4c