Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tonneau Cover and Bikini Top

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Awesome looking Top Goodo.

I will scroll back and look at Your framework required, and the shorter bows.

That top would be awesome here in Texas in the Spring and late late into to the Summer and Fall.

I think ya got something there.

Thanks for the photo views again .
    After the upside down picture episode, I checked back on the earlier photos of the framework, half of them are either upside down or sideways too, yet they all look fine on the iPad. You might have to save and rotate them to have a good look.
    Next time I have it out I will pull the canvas off and take a couple of the frame now that it is all painted, and post them, right way up hopefully.
    The top is great in the summer. Way cooler with more air flow, without having to spend all day in the sun. Although it is a great feeling to wheel with no top and the windshield down, it gets a bit much spending all day in the sun if it is 95 - 100 degrees +.
    I imagine you'd be in the same situation over there.
    It also works well for me becuase the shed door is that low at home that I cant get the jeep in with the standard cab cover with taller bows. With the lower bows it clears by about 3/4". (Not planned at the time of manufacture, but a handy little bonus none the less.)

At the risk of going OT, a similar thing happens with Facebook. Often, I would take a picture and then use Photoshop to change the orientation, size, etc. Facebook would always post the picture in the exact orientation (rotation) that it was when taken. I guess that it looks at the "Metadata" embedded in the JPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

Darn computers ... think that they are smarter than us!!!

Seriously, I hope that I can catch up with you on one of my trips to Melbourne, VIC.

Goodo85,
    You do some nice work!
    I like all of it. That Bikini top is awesome! I'd love to have one.
    I may have missed this in the thread but did you ever figure a price on each canvas piece in this thread?
    I'd like to have a zip code from where you are to get some shipping quotes from work, just to get an idea. I could just play around with some weights and dimensions.
    Thanks, Andy

Andrew,

You didn't miss it, I just never got back to post a price. I sort of figured shipping would kill it mostly - I am located in Tamworth, NSW Australia, post code or zip is 2340.
    I have had a few people tell me I should try selling things, I suppose I could fold and weigh my tonneau to get a shipping quote, but people would have to make their own support bows, which is not too hard, just a couple lengths of 1/2" rod.
    I think that the bikini with the support frame, even though it pulls apart into a few pieces, wouldn't be viable to ship, unless I could find someone to sea freight it.
    Also, our Australian made canvas is a little different to your American canvas, not that it matters, unless you really wanted to match your existing canvas work. - It looks similar when its covered in dust .
    Colour is close, just the weave is smoother I suppose you'd say.

Luke

Well I checked into shipping today by UPS using works account.
    Worldwide saver express, UPS large box, 18x13x3, 10lbs $260.82
    Worldwide saver express, Package, 18x15x7, 10lbs $346.41
    Worldwide express letter. $94.29
    These are all "published" prices. Our negotiated prices are about 50% less.
    Thanks for sending me the info. Looks like shipping alone will be between $130-$175. Plus another $47 to send a shipping label. Then there's the shipping documents that would need to be prepared. Hmmmm.... maybe a member here could visit you and bring some bikini tops ( just the canvas ) back

Default Patterns?

Andrew,

One way to overcome the shipping hurdle is to simply create a pattern set that was a digital file and could be emailed. Then sell us the pattern. We could then print it and sew it up ourselves, or take to an upholstery shop and have them work off of.

I sew, have an industrial machine, and LOVE the bikini top and the tunnel cover, and would happily pay for pattern sets.

Something to think about, as you could come up with a whole set of patterns, and make money forever off of them.

Please consider this, your designs are great!

RB