Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on the tornado

Most likely best off modding the 715 shafts if you have to as they will have the correct ends for the case. Might be cheaper to bolt in the Chevy stuff and fab mounts instead of buying adapters, but that is up to you. Not sure on 465 length vs. T98 Leave the Tcase there and set the engine wherever it needs to go to keep the shafts untouched. My truck that has the Chevy adapted to T98, the engine sits really tight to the firewall to the point where HEI ignition won't even fit. If it went forward 4" it would still have plenty of room....
    Is that real money?

FWIW, if you're even contemplating an engine swap, you most likely have the ability to rebuild a Holley 1920 for the $60+- Daytona Parts charges for a carb kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    FWIW, if you're even contemplating an engine swap, you most likely have the ability to rebuild a Holley 1920 for the $60+- Daytona Parts charges for a carb kit.
    But still stuck with 2 barrel carb on a 140hp and 210 ft lbs of torque trying to push a 5500 lb vehicle in which parts are becoming VERY difficult to procure locally at reasonable cost.

Don't blame ya OP... I did an LSx swap on my 1966 pickup.. getting in.. turning an EFI key... and instant starts with 100x reliablity and in-stock parts at ANY local parts shop is nice.

Having twice the HP/TQ is nice too
    Last edited by venominjected; July 12th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    But still stuck with 2 barrel carb on a 140hp and 210 ft lbs of torque trying to push a 5500 lb vehicle in which parts are becoming VERY difficult to procure locally at reasonable cost.

Don't blame ya OP... I did an LSx swap on my 1966 pickup.. getting in.. turning an EFI key... and instant starts with 100x reliablity and in-stock parts at ANY local parts shop is nice.

I realize that: I'm still "stuck" with my 230. The OP's post implied to me "for want of a functioning carb, I need a new powertrain", a rather spendy alternative to a carb rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I realize that: I'm still "stuck" with my 230. The OP's post implied to me "for want of a functioning carb, I need a new powertrain", a rather spendy alternative to a carb rebuild.
    I get it... "spendy" upfront ....

Maybe its due to my career but I'm taught to take a step back and look at "total cost of ownership."

Imagine being at a MV show 2 states over... and have the "230" cause you to pay for a tow home. $$$

The towbill cost is now the cost of the engine swap... and your still having to deal with the repair plus still remain with the same % of another breakdown in the future[another possible tow bill]

I get stock, don't get me wrong... OEM has its place and guys are INDEED daily driving or traveling with their 230.... but mathematically at a much larger % chance of a breakdown without the ability to roadside fix than that of a guy with a SBC/LS/diesel swap.

If I had history (former service member) with the truck, had another "toy" vehicle, or enjoyed the originality of the tornado... I definately would keep it..its one of the first ever OHC motors... and its pretty cool looking with a distinct sound.

I tend (which seems like the OP) drive the wheels off though.

I tend (which seems like the OP) drive the wheels off though.
    And therein lies the reason. I tend to just let the truck do it's thing. Now when I was in Germany, 1970, I just "may" have been guilty of pushing one of these trucks a little too hard. Actual photo, not "Photoshopped", we really were going that fast...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think what is trying to be politely said,if you are intimidated by a carb rebuild, a drivetrain swap could get overwhelming.
    DaveJ

Been busy lately so the 715 hasn't gotten much attention.

I already rebuilt the carb and it definitely improved the starting and idle but no difference in power. Which is why I was thinking of replacing it but I am thinking its more of a distributor/wiring issue.

Its not that I think a drive line swap will be easier or cheaper then working on the 230. I am just trying to look at the long term and I am not looking to stay stock. I really want something that will have enough power for part work and part play. Being able to haul heavier loads up hills(I live in the NC mountains) on occasion as well as moderate trips for camping/offroading. Being able to do 60 mph would be nice.

60 MPH is pushing the envelope. If the carburetor is now up to snuff, how about the timing? I have my timing set too far advanced. It pings a fair amount and I am not saying that you should go there. But advanced timing has given my truck som zip!

End goal for me is to haul a loaded m101a2 trailer (combined 5000lbs) at 70mph while getting 15 mpg.