Thread: Maximum wear on brake drums

Default Maximum wear on brake drums

I know this is an old thread, but was the answer to this question ever uncovered? (Are there FRONT and REAR brake shoes?)

Shoes are the same for both axles (front and rear) , but the shorter lining shoe goes on the front, long lining on the rear at each wheel.

I'm sorry. My bad. I wasn't clear. Buried in that old thread is the question:

"Amen Bob...my sentiments exactly...or is that sediments...I guess I'm getting a little to sedentary lately...any, I fully agree...its a lot of work for "fun".
    I did look all over my drums for any semblance of a stamping for the max. dia. but never found one.
    It would be nice to figure it out...is there a way to 'establish' a safe minimum based on what can be discerned from drums from other manufactures of basically the same materials and load handling? Like if there is a 12 inch that can get down to xx.xxx which leaves a thickness of 0.yyy of material for the shoes to wear on, can we say, ratioing against that number, that our drums should be safe if the max. dia. does not exceed zz.zzz??
    Bob, you da man with the closest chance of working this one out I know of...theres a cold one in it for ya at the FE if ya do!!
    brute4c"

In other words, what is the maximum allowable wear on brake drums. What is the point where they can no longer be cut on a lathe and be used? There is no indication on the drums themselves.

Did you research the online manuals at the top of the page.
    I can't remember if that info is in there.

Default Brake drums

I know I saw something on brake drum measurements in the on-line manuals on here because I had to return a used drum that I bought from Memphis Equipment. From my e-mail, I dug up this message which I sent to Memphis to explain what my automotive machine shop told me:

"My auto machine shop guy has 40+ years of experience with jeep/military drivetrain work and has turned this type of drum before many times on his lathe. (I included some pics of the lathe set-up he did to prepare for the cut.)
    But he never turned the drum. Instead he called me back to say that the drum already measured .082" (82 thousandths of an inch) of existing wear from side to side of the braking surface - and that's well over the industry standard service limit for these drums of .060" or 60 thousandths. He said the brake track was also somewhat ovalized/warped. He was not willing to do any work on it because it was not safe to put it back into service because so little metal was left on the braking surface"
    1969 M725 ambulance

From the -34 TM:

Note. Using brake drum micrometer, check all drums. Should a brake drum be rough and scored, it may be reconditioned by grinding or turning in a lathe. Do not remove more than .030” thickness of metal, .060” overall diameter. If a drum is reconditioned in this manner, either the correct factory-supplied, oversize lining .030” must be installed, or a shim equal in thickness to the metal removed must be placed between the lining and shoe so that the arc of the lining will be the same as that of the drum.

In the specifications at the end of the TM, drum diameter is 13".

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate it.