Thread: pistolnut : oil smoke

Default pistolnut : oil smoke

oil smoke
    Post by pistolnut on Apr 12, 2006, 9:21pm

I've had my 715 with the stock engine running for a couple of months now. I don't drive it much, usually just on weekends. Recently, it has started blowing oil smoke on startup. It clears out pretty quickly and doesn't seem to smoke while driving. As I understand this probably indicates that the valve seals need attention. Has anybody got any experience with this on the 230? Is this a DIY job for a shade tree mechanic? Are the parts available anywhere?

Default xtreme :

Re: oil smoke
    Post by xtreme on Apr 12, 2006, 10:24pm

Yes, it could be the valve stem seals but its no problem to do. Very easy to pull the head or you can use a compressor and do it with the head on provided that the valves are in good shape and if they aren't you have to pull the head to change them.

You can use Chevy valve stem seals.

If its not smoking to much and you haven't driven it much, you could wait and see if it stops doing that because fresh oil can return some of the suppleness to the seals and they expand.

One more thing, it can be the valve cover/ engine breather which is taking oil into the inlet manifold and not the valve stem seals at all. Pull the pipe of the inlet manifold end and see if its got oil in it. If you start it up using the choke this can suck that oil into the inlet manifold untill it clears...so that makes it look like the valve stem seals are leaking.

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Apr 12, 2006, 11:24pm

X, what is the cause or fix for the second possibility? That seems more likely since it wasn't smoking before. I haven't gone out and looked yet though. I do use the choke to start it when cold.

Default xtreme :

Post by xtreme on Apr 12, 2006, 11:31pm

If there is a lot of oil in the pipe it is an indication that the rings are going and that the engine is forcing to much oil out of the block because of ring blowby. Not good.

But, you can get a filter for this which stops the oil from going down the pipe, it looks like a small spunge. A number of modern engines have them factory fitted, this is also quite normal on high performance engines, turbos for example, so unless its really bad I would just clean the pipe out once in a while or just leave it as it is.. a little oil here and there helps lubricate valve stems, seats and top rings. My old 77 dodge always smokes a little on startup and has done for years.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 13, 2006, 8:43am

Clint, unless it has increased a bunch, yours wasn't smoking all that much. Since it doesn't smoke after the first puff, I would go with the breather hose or just intake valve seals. If you think it is seals, bring it own down. It is your turn to travel in our game of M715 tag.