Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got her on the road!

Default Finally got her on the road!

Well, I finished cleaning up the wiring, installed a keyswitch, fuse panel, hummer tail lights. Fired her up and went for a spin with my son and neighbor. This is the 1st ride since I bought it back December, other than driving it off of the trailer.

All I can say, is wow, that was fun! I had the soft top off and even though it is only in the 40's it was plenty warm for a trip around town.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thats awesome. Get some pics up

I dont have any road pictures, but here are a couple of cleaning up and updating some of the wiring:

Thanks, George

For mid February, today wasn't bad at all. I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, and I'm happy to see the snow starting to melt away. Not a bad day to test drive your truck. Glad it worked out for you.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Sweet I love seeing progress. That turn signal assembly looks brand new

Yea, its the universal truck signal. I didnt have enough wires on my original to make it work
    Thanks, George

So the UPS guy came today:

And...

ready...

Thanks, George

hahah! I felt like the angels were singing from heaven the day mine arrived . Just a tip...it'll help to get it onto the filler neck side if you heat it up a bit. When it's cold, it just won't fit on there

--Wintermute

Funny, I just put on my new filler neck tonight. A couple words of advice: as wintermute mentioned, heat it up a bit and it will go easier. Getting mine onto the tank side was easy but the filler part was pretty tough. Also, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you have some sort of rubber gromet or sliced fuel hose around the opening where it goes through the bed. Whoever re-painted my truck left it out and the hose cut through on the bottom, right in that spot. Also, you may be tempted to call it good when it's "close enough" but if you have to push down to get the bolts to go in, that down force will push on the hose where it goes trough the bed and can also cut it. I'm not sure how it would affect the rubber over time but perhaps a bit of grease might make it slide on easier. Or maybe some dish soap. I ended up carefully using a flat blade screw driver to get mine on and it worked pretty well. After that, I had to resort to a 4lb mini sledge and a wood block. Leaving the screwdriver between the hose and the metal filler will allow it to slide easier too. If this is confusing let me know and I'll explain it and maybe take some pictures. I just learned "the hard way" so if I can save you any trouble I'd be happy.

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate the advise. Dish soap and heat sound like the ticket
    Thanks, George