Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got her on the road!

i used wd 40 and a block of wood and a hammer, i think a lot of cuss words too.

the list of things is growing for the hose install: heat, soap, gasket, wd40, new vocab words
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

new vocab words
    yeah, I forgot to mention that. You'll need at least a handful of those. I think I may have actually invented a couple new words during the process. It didn't help that I did the filler neck after wrestling the tank in by myself and the temp was getting down towards 10deg F

I actually soaked mine in some boiling hot water, right before I started the process of installing it. It can be difficult, but eventually it goes on. The rubber around the metal hole is a must. I can almost guarentee that rubbing will take place there, and that can't be a good thing. Glad it worked out for you.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Good thing I clicked this link! I was planning on installing my filler nck tonight. Apparently I got pretty lucky when the trucks previous owner included a brand new filler neck in the "box o' parts" that came with the truck.

Just a suggestion, I would install the ruber gromet in the opening in the bed before installing the filler hose. This will help keep the metal form cutting into your pretty new hose. I purchase one form surplus city jeep parts yrs ago so you should be able to fine one. I believe these are missing on most trucks. It does call for one in one fo the manuals. Or split a pc of vacuum hose and make your own. Again just a suggestion.

Thanks Chucke, I didnt know that there was supposed to be there
    Thanks, George

I didn't need any soap, oil, etc... Just heated the tube with a mapp torch. Get it nice and warm and pliable, but don't melt it and it will slide right on without a problem. A heatgun would be easier and safer if you're not used to using a torch on things without melting them

--Wintermute

The Quirks Manual, linked ibn the Online Maintenance Manuals section, lists that opening for the filler hose as "a real sharpie" and points out the need for the grommet to be there to keep from wrecking the filler hose...has a drawing even.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The Quirks Manual, linked ibn the Online Maintenance Manuals section, lists that opening for the filler hose as "a real sharpie" and points out the need for the grommet to be there to keep from wrecking the filler hose...has a drawing even.
    I hadnt seen that before in the manual section, although Ive only used the modified electrical drawings so far. This is a real trip:
    Thanks, George