Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m-715 master cylinder upgrade

Default m-715 master cylinder upgrade

I am the proud caretaker of two 715's. One is my brothers and one is for the fire dept I am on.
    The master cylinder started leaking and since we have a 300 gallon water tank on board, I have thought about attempting power brakes. Will the master cylinder, booster and proportioning valve from a late 70's J-20 work? Any help will be appreciated.

Hello razrbac,

There are many options as to what to do with the master cylinder. If you do a search you will find many post on this subject.

I have to replace my MC because it is in bad shape. I am not going to use a power booster.

I am going with a new dual cylinder from Oreilly's part #10-1331, $26 without a core. A few more inexpensive items are needed. This is a MC from an early '70s GM truck with manual brakes. Also you can use a Corvette master cylinder.

If your MC is in OK shape you could just install a new kit from NAPA #UP 236.

PM if you can't find anything with the search.

Welcome to the club.

Wart Hog
    Oklahoma City

You can use the brake booster from a late 70's J-truck, you will want the adapter that goes between it and the firewall. You will need to drill a couple holes in the firewall to mount it. You will also need to modify the pushrod from the power booster to the brake pedal as the eye is not the right size. Both of these sound more difficult that it really is. You do NOT want to use the proportioning valve. The proportioning valve is only used if you have disc brakes. just re-plumb the brake line manifold on the frame, and then use a master cylinder such as the corvette one or a late 60's chevy pickup with all drum brakes, . .works out well. I am REALLY pleased with having power brakes on mine. . .

Hello Wart Hog and moosejr,
    Thankyou for the info on the parts numbers, etc. I'll have to talk the chief and see what he wants me to do. He may say to kit the old MC. We have two CUCV's and an 84 F-250 that make great brush rigs and everybody brags about the 715 but knowbody will drive it. I want to change that.
    Also, my brother's 715 has a Braden winch on the front with a homemade bumper. Does anybody have any info on these winches. I would like to know what the front end is supposed to look like with a factory winch.
    My brother's rig also came with perfect wooden tarp bows and troop seats. Looks like they took them off in '67 and stored them for 40 years. Any canvas covers still available?
    Thanks again guys and any more info will be appreciated!

I see everybody wants to use a chevy m/c w/ the jeep booster, what is wrong w/ a jeep booster and m/c? There are many canvas suppliers around, prices vary alot between them, for example- at surplus city in CA the bed tarp w/ the end curtians is $475. at beachwood canvas co. in NJ its $812 so it pays to shop around. a winch truck:http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...no=250&tt=1646
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

razrbac,

here is a great like for what you want to do:

Hey, Lets talk BRAKES some more!!!!

Wart Hog,

Thanks again. How's the weather in the city? I've got a ton of relatives all around OKC. Stuck here on the farm though and don't get to visit anymore.

George,
    Thanks for the link. Do you know where I can find a factory winch bumper? Or dimensions to make one that is close to factory. I'm pretty good at fabbing stuff.

Check the 'links' on the page header, all the usuall surplus dealers you will find some of the parts maybe not all, others here might be selling some too.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

If your boss wants a new master cylinder there is one on ebay right now. These are very hard to find, along with the winch bumpers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...210066542&rd=1

Look thru the Online Maint Manuals. The link is at the top of the page. Download the online parts manual http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...ts/34P_all.pdf and on page 202 of 427 shows the bumper and 303-307 shows the winch.

What many guys have done is cut a regular bumper down to size. Since a winch is a highly wanted item the parts are scarce.

You can try Memphis Equipment, AB Linn Inc, Saturn Surplus or Vintage Power Wagon (link at the top of page) for parts. They also have catalogs.

The weather in cold and windy. I thought it was spring.

Wart Hog