Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming engine swap

Michael, I'm in the same boat you are with an M725 and no engine right now. I bought a bellhousing that is supposed to fit a T-18 tranny and a Jeep V-8, but doesn't look like it's going to. If you can find a Jeep 64-67 J-3000/4000 with a stick, or a 72-79 Wagoneer/Cherokee/J-series with a stick and get the whole thing, from bellhousing to xfer case, that would be the best, as you could then move it all to the 725. If not, then you can use a Jeep 360 motor IF you get a flywheel ($100) and a bellhousing ($50) and clutch parts (?), etc. I have decided to bide my time and find a whole setup, engine/tranny with or without xfer case, so that I can move it all over in one shot.

I am currently negotiating for a Chevy 350 w/700r4 tranny and xfer case. Then all I should have to do is new support brackets for the tranny/xfer, maybe have the driveshafts modified, and get a floor shifter for the tranny.

Rich
    Still confused in Omaha....
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Cool, I can spot $200-300 for the bellhousing, clutch, etc. What's a good source for the whole adapter kit?
    Or Doug, you said all I need is the "right bellhousing"? Where can I get that?

You're going to need to find the bellhousing either online (ebay) or at a junkyard. Would probably be best to take a pattern from your current T-98 with you. You need one from a Jeep V-8 that will match your pattern.

I think I saw that the clutch is the same as the 64-67 J-4000 heavy duty. There's a post on it on the left side here under online manuals, I think. Clutch can come from Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. As far as I know, no one makes the whole kit. Advance adapters sells the shorter input shaft for the tranny, I think it's about $240.

That's about all I found during my research into this. Anyone else have more info?

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I'm not much more help, but I think rich is on the right track. Go chevy and buy the novak, or do as mikel stated, buy anything with a 2wd trans.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

fellas, i have swapped in a 360/th400 into my 715. it is pretty easy. you will need to get the engin mounts from the 360 and use them. i like the swap, but if you are wanting to upgrade, i would get a chevy and the th400. lots more parts and i believe that the swap is even easier. just my imput. but i really don't know a whole hell of alot. =)