Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

Default Generator Wiring?

So I started working on putting together the wiring harness. I sprung for a new front half from Vintage Wiring of Maine. It is very nice and I will post some more about it soon. However, I ran into a question regarding the generator wiring. The kit comes with a new field wire. It has an eyelet-style terminal on one end.

When I pulled off my generator cover, I discovered I can't access the other end of the field generator wire. It disappears through a hole in a plate. I tried to lift the plate up but it resists, and I am worried about breaking it.
    Anybody know if this plate can be pulled up?

It doesn't really matter though, because I wouldn't be able to fit the eyelet through the hole in the plate anyway. Maybe this Vintage kit is for another style generator? I have the Leece-Neville. I know Jeep applied another type to 715s.

There is another terminal on the plate. Anybody know what might connect here (red arrow in picture below)?

Other odds and ends:

1. The fuel hose that connects from the frame to the engine was questionable, so I pieced together these parts to make something that works. (Elsewhere in this thread I documented the difficulty in finding the correct fittings to make it exactly like the original). It bends more than I would like it to but I don't think it will kink. Something to keep an eye on.

Original on top:

Fittings:

2. My steering joint boot was shot.

I bought this FSJ kit:

(The larger lock-ring came in the kit, the smaller one is my M715 original)

The boot in the kit is too long to fit the 715. It also has a rectangular hole for the shaft, while the 715 is round. Here it is side-by-side with my original:

I cut off the top part of the boot and made the hole round as shown here:

I used everything else in the kit with the modified boot and the original lock-ring and it fit right up:

Great photos and info.

That is exactly how I did that short fuel hose. It has worked fine.

If I remember correctly, I spliced the new generator wire to the old.
    I did this under the cover where the old rubber insulation was still in good shape.

Memphis Equipment has the correct steering boot, I replaced mine with one, you have to ask for it, they have many parts that are not listed. The alternator should only have 2 connections, a wire with a Packard connector which is fixed to the alternator and the large positive wire with a ring terminal coming in from the front wiring harness. There is also of course the separate ground wire. Why they have a ring terminal on that wire is a mystery. Not sure on that other terminal but it is not used.

Default making stuff...and a little bit of progress

Regarding the generator field wire, I contacted Vintage Wiring of Maine, and they made a short jumper harness that will connect the new main harness to the existing wire on the generator. They were really nice to work with.

Other stuff:
    After putting my steering column together, I realized that I was probably missing some type of plate at the firewall (see the red dotted line in the pic below)

I don't know where it went but it is either in a mystery box of parts or it is long gone. Jeepdan confirmed that I was indeed missing something (Thanks Jeepdan!) and the manuals don't show it, so I had to fab something up. Based on the witness marks on the original foam gasket, and the shapes of the existing parts, I came up with something like this:

I also found some foam rubber on the internet and re-made the seal at the base of the steering column:

The same stupid kid (me) that lost that plate at the steering column also tossed the clip that holds the throttle cable at the firewall. So I had to make a new one of those too. I used the clip at the carburetor as a pattern. (I made it out of a stainless steel ruler that was conveniently at hand

More random stuff. Working on controls, gauges, etc...
    Found a brake pedal return spring that drops right in and seems to work ok:

The package says it is for a 41-71 Willys.

My choke cable somehow managed to survive about 20 years of loss and abuse during storage, then I promptly broke it during install. The metal coil broke just past the rigid part at the dash. I fixed that but to help keep it from breaking there again, I used some 5/16 nylon fuel line to sheath it. I swaged the tubing by heating it and expanding it with a screwdriver at the end near the rigid part at the dash, then slide that over the rigid part. That helps support it where it changes from rigid to metal coil. It also helps protect the wire from getting junk and corrosion in it.

Some cleanup of the gauges:
    Before:

During:
    After stripping off the white paint
    (note that only "fuel" and "high beam" had any lettering)

After:

Not too happy how the glass on the gauges is fogged over but I am not too sure what to do about that.

More controls stuff:
    Light switch:
    (sandblasted about 10 years ago, stored and then repainted)

Also messed around with the horn. None of the original parts were there, and the manuals were lousy as always, so I fumbled my way. I wasn't sure how it was supposed to be mounted but I turned 3 nylon spacers to keep the horn switch and horn collar (?) aligned. It took several tries but the needed to be about 10mm long to keep everything aligned and tighten the screws.

Turing the spacers (these ended up too short):

You can barely see one of the nylon spacers installed here:

NOS switch from Memphis:

Always neat to see something that hasn't been touched since 1973:

Had to make a simple pigtail wire to connect the switch to the column wiring:

Default Making more stuff

The more I work on this thing, the more I realize how many parts have wandered away from it over the 50 some years of its life. A bolt here, a part there, rust away to dust... In this case - the exhaust.

I found a tailpipe (in Greece) and made the hanger cables and brackets from stainless. I have dreams of making the entire exhaust from stainless but that is a bridge down the road.

An example of an original hanger cable:

I made my version of it using stainless steel cable. After some trial and error, I made a jig to get them the right length.

Based on the exhaust pipes and some pictures from the internet, I did my best to replicate the moon-shaped brackets from a piece of 12ga stainless.

2 of each:

Also had to make the bracket at the back of the tailpipe. More smash and bend out of 12ga stainless:

Tailpipe. Somehow it shipped all the way from Greece like this and wasn't bent, dented or wadded up.

Looking great. I love seeing your craftmanship.

As for the fogged up gauge lenses, I wonder if paint solvent affected the plastic.

Mine were slightly cloudy from age. I had good success using one of those plastic headlight restoration kits to polish the lenses.

Thanks Jeepdan! The headlight polish is a good idea. Another thing in the shopping cart!