Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

I know Don, guys are sick of this thread I'm sure. Just been real busy and not in the mood to go work on truck in the heat. Even today, (Sunday) I just finished my chores around the house and it's 3:00pm. Now I have to go out for dinner at 4pm with an old friend of mine. I'nm quite sure you all know the feeling.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I know Don, guys are sick of this thread I'm sure. Just been real busy and not in the mood to go work on truck in the heat. Even today, (Sunday) I just finished my chores around the house and it's 3:00pm. Now I have to go out for dinner at 4pm with an old friend of mine. I'nm quite sure you all know the feeling.
    Never, never, never sick of this thread. Heck, my life as a retiree is more busy than ever! I only wish I were around the corner. We coulf "Hang Out" as they say.

Not sick of it, but the suspense is killing me.

Hope you guys bear with me on this one. Mainly the suspense is being caused by my lack of time and effort it getting to the bottom of this issue. I was kinda hoping more members would have chimed in on this thread. I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one with a problem like this.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    ... I was kinda hoping more members would have chimed in on this thread. I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one with a problem like this.
    For what it's worth, I had the same symptom. Replacing the coil was the fix. I guess where we have a different situation is that no NOS or good used genuine military coils seem to be available. However I didn't take the time to measure voltage, trouble shoot etc. I got a replacement coil and it fixed the problem. Was I lucky? Probably...

I am hopeful of the fix!

You know Don, I just can't believe that the first coil that Barney Jeep Parts sent me could go bad after three starts. Chinese or not, that is just almost impossible to believe. On the other hand, the first coil he sent was supposedly never used, but it had the year 2008 in magic marker on the side of it. He told me about the date, but assured me it was brand new. After its failure, (hopefully), he immediately sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one? I just had to pay $8.00 postage again. Not to beat this to death again, but my biggest concern is dropping in the new coil, the truck firing right up and taking it out on the road only to have it fail again. Which leads me back to the question, if everything checks out, like 24v at the distributor, new coil, new Pertronics system, no loose wires, etc, where do I go from here? My ignition switch on the dash when turned to the on position, the alternator gauge needle immediately jumps to the green section of the scale on the gauge. Floor starter button cranks the starter motor quickly and with ease. When all is said and done, it seems to lead back to a bad coil. If so, how will we ever be able to trust these coils that we are slaves too?

Just put a spare coil and a screwdriver in the glove box. You can change it on the side of the road if it dies again.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Just put a spare coil and a screwdriver in the glove box. You can change it on the side of the road if it dies again.
    You can bet I'll be doing that kwai, problem was this last time, was that I was in the middle of a busy intersection at a stop light.

Just tested my new out of the box junk Chinese chromed coil. After zeroing my multi-meter, I'm getting a reading of 0.011 in the 4k low range, and the secondary reading is 11.5 in the 400k high range. This meter is digital and the readings on the range scale are 4m 40m 400 and then push the range button again and you get 4k 40k 400k. Does any of this make sense? I'm thinking the secondary reading of 11.5 in the 400k range is correct. The 0.011 on the primary in the 4k range I'm not sure. You electronic experts out there, help me out please.

Another update. I just went out to the garage and tested the batteries first. I got a reading of 12.46 on one battery and 12.61 on the other. Good so far. I then turned ignition switch to the on position and tested voltage at the old coil terminals and got a reading of 23.26 volts. I believe this to be O.K. also. Because the wires were still attached, I think their may have been a small voltage decrease, (correct me if I'm mistaken). In my mind, this tells me the first new coil that is in the distributor now, has failed. The mere fact that this coil had a date written in magic marker on it of 2008 tells me it may have been used or lost its usefulness due to age and/or humidity/moisture.
    Any and all opinions would sure help me out at this point in time.
    The one thing I still need to test is moving the ignition switch wire around while taking a reading on the meter as suggested by JeepDan. My wife will help me do that when she gets home from work.
    Can someone tell me if 23.26 volts at the coil with the ignition switch on is in the ok range?
    Hopefully getting to the end of this thread, before one of you guys tells me to take a hike!