Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Valance/Brush Guard?

Default Stock Valance/Brush Guard?

Hi all, I have some questions...

I bought and installed a brush guard, but something doesn't seem right about it's physical relationship to the valance. I hope that the following photos communicate this idea.

I have seen other M715 photos and I think that the brush guard should sit farther away from the the front of the valance. Additionally, there are mounting bolt holes on the brush guard that that don't line up, and the brush guard scratches the front of the grill. There is also a bolt hole on the top of the grill that there is no corresponding hole on the valance for. It's a mystery to me, and I was hoping someone could tell me (or show me with photos) how the stock valance/brush guard relationship should be.

While I wait for my engine to be (warranty) diagnosed in a shop, I have some time to ask lingering, unanswered questions.

Thanks in advance!

What you have there is a Rhino grille in the valance. The rhino grille was standard on the gladiator pickups. It isn't original on a M715. It also explains the lack of a hole on the top.

You can gain more clearance by moving the brushguard out by extending the brackets.
    or remove the rhino grille. (if you don't want it, they usually sell for $200+ depending on condition).

The M715 never came with a grill, like Kawi explained. That is off a civilian Gladiator. As you can see in this pic, the stock M715 brush guard actually does fit fairly close to the front valance, especially at the peak in the middle.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Everyone I have seen on a truck and the one I installed ALL had that clearance problem...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Excellent... Thanks to all of you!

When I remove the grill, the radiator will seem kind of exposed to me. I drive up in the mountains, off road and through some very rugged and overgrown roads, and I am concerned that flying rocks or other debris might puncture the radiator.

Maybe a protective covering of expanded steel painted black?

What have others done? Can anyone show photos of examples of what they used to protect their radiators from debris and branches?

Thanks in advance!~

I dont have a pic...to protect the radiator, I used a heavy screen material with about a 1/4 inch opening in the grids...with a large washer through it at the edge, it never moved or gave me trouble...painted it black of course.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Rhino Grill

I removed the Rhino Grill and listed it on eBay. Bidding starts at $200 with $275 as the buy Now price. If you mention that you saw it on this site, I will sell it for less to members here. Straight...no dents. Joy!

I am getting a quote for woven steel mesh. It looks more "vintage" and date authentic than does expanded steel. (In my best Mick Jagger voice) "Paint it black."

I couldn't help but notice how the radiator is offset slightly to the driver's side. Strange design, but it's that way on original photos too.

BTW, nice looking truck Beast...but then, you hear that from everyone.

I have expanded metal in mine too...

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    BTW, nice looking truck Beast...but then, you hear that from everyone.
    Thanks, It's one of my favorite military vehicles in my collection. It was the first one I restored way back in 2004 and led to my green iron addiction.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/