Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1968 m715

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Probably wouldn't touch the OD. The fella that used it was restoring an old tractor. It had a coat of cheap paint over the original paint. The oven cleaner worked great on the cheap paint and didn't damage the original paint at all.
    Looking at the way the white coat on 66stepside's truck is peeling, I bet a shot of oven cleaner would clear that mess up.
    Makes sense: the budget stripper I started with raised the rattlecan yellow on that tailgate almost instantly. That was the end of the fun: it was wasted aircraft stripper and long sessions with the Multimaster from that point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I love the interior door panels. Are you going to keep that design?

Seriously though, my truck came with a 2 1/2 ton winch on the front and the bracelets were welded on. It took lots of grinding to salvage the frame without damaging it. Hope you can do the same.

Hahaha, I’m not sure what color it’ll be when it’s all “done”, but the interior color will change. I guess one of the PO’s did that kind of camo for his tree cutting service? It hasn’t aged well.

I picked up this 81 Chevy 1 ton:

BBC, SM465, NP t case, hydro boost brakes- BUT I’m now toying with the idea of a body swap.

The bed is now gone. If nothing else, I can store the M715 body on it while I prep the M frame for repair/paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be in too deep to back out now.

6.25” needs to come out of the front storage compartment’s center section. The storage unit itself measures roughly 10.5” tall.

Wow,
    That's a really nice old J series truck in that one picture.
    Want badly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Wow,
    That's a really nice old J series truck in that one picture.
    Want badly.

Haha, thanks! It’s my son’s truck. We built that awhile back ago as his first ride. I’ve told him to sell it and buy something newer, but he refuses. I think he’s going to keep it. I suppose, though, cash talks! Haha.

Meanwhile, the M715 bed has been trimmed as much from the underbelly as I can muster without having the cab and fenders in place.

I’m going to eventually repaint it white, maybe with some kind of snow cammo pattern.

Default 1968 m715

I am fabricating a tail gate:

It’s heavy. Nothing’s been welded up, I need to double check measurements and mock it up on the bed and get chain tabs fab’d up in the right spot.

Once the front is welded up, the upper lip, and two square tubes will be added on. Maybe tomorrow?

Interesting. Can’t wait to see the painted product.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartings View Post
    Interesting. Can’t wait to see the painted product.

Thanks! I have two options as I see it. It’s almost buttoned up. I’ve got some body work to do on the logo’d portion of the tailgate before final welding.

Option A (more correct-looking for an actual M tailgate):

Option B (taking into account the deeper recessed J truck tailgate):

Here she is kinda mocked up, but not quite level on the bed:

Note the 5 various clamps holding it up and together.

looking good!