Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seat help

Default seat help

I have stock seat frames but looking for stock cushions and covering - any ideas or leads ?

Get some high-density foam--4" for the seat and 2" for the back. Then order a set of replacement canvas covers from Weebee Webbing or New Life Canvas. Should be about $100 for the both.

That way you can do away with the horsehair and the springs. Replace your plywood with a new piece of 3/4" if you need to as well. I did all this on the deuce passenger seat and will most likely eventually get rid of the springs and horsehair on my driver's seat as well. The stock seats are almost comfortable this way!

Good luck!
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

As stated above, do the foam and plywood thing. It works quite well.

I did the seatcovers from Vintage Power Wagons and they ran $120 shipped. They also fit very well too.

The high density foam came from a local fabric store and enough to do both seats with leftover foam was $65.

I used 3/4" plywood for the base, but didn't need any on the back, as the frame has a metal backing that is almost as wide as the outer frame.

Yes, the wood is only for the seat. The stock seats use only some horsehair padding under the canvas for the back. And it feels like it too!
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Yes, the wood is only for the seat. The stock seats use only some horsehair padding under the canvas for the back. And it feels like it too!
    Even the HD foam and the new covers feel like they compress after about 15 minutes.....

I have thought about using a thinner bit of the foam over the springs an horsehair, get the support of the springs w/ a nice foam cushion to keep from feeling them
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Sometimes the springs will contact the canvas and can wear through. So be careful if you decide to keep the springs.

The main reason I'd seriously consider doing away with the stock springs in my seat is not a comfort issue. It's plenty comfortable enough (provided you're not expecting something other than the military seat it is!) The problem with it is the bounce. Driving up a bumpy road gets me bouncing pretty hard. Meanwhile, the boys on their foam-filled deuce seat are just moving up and down a little bit.
    -- Tim Taylor

The main reason I'd seriously consider doing away with the stock springs in my seat is not a comfort issue. It's plenty comfortable enough (provided you're not expecting something other than the military seat it is!)
    I was sorta expecting the Lexus ride in my 715....is that just a bit unrealistic then? That and the handing of the Porsche Cayenne.....
    Last edited by Binford; January 13th, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

If ya "tweak" it a little maybe....
    -- Tim Taylor

If ya "tweak" it a little maybe....
    I'll go grab my tweaker out of the tool box.....