Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M725 restoration project

Quote Originally Posted by M715VFD405 View Post
    Ok I have a stupid question, I see the exhaust tip sticking out of the rear of the jeep and it looks like it is suppose to have the fording pipe attached? Was that typical of the 725? Cause I don't see the cut in the hood for the intake hose? Or are all of our jeep suppose to have that end so the fording kit could be installed?
    All the G890 series vehicles (M715,M725,M724 ect.) had the flange at the end of the exhaust pipe for fording kits. Mainly because they all used the same chassis and chassis componants including the exhaust system. The M725 has a specific fording kit just for it that differs from the M715 kit. The intake pipe has a different shape to follow the differences between the windshields. Also the intake actually doesn't go through the hood, but through the side of the front fender.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

What he said.

You just don't see the original exhaust anymore on trucks as they were mostly all replaced in the 40+ years.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

That's what I thought I just wasn't sure not to many old pics of the exhaust pipes lol. Thanks
    Chris

Well I bled the brakes and was able to take the M725 for a quick little trip around the block. Still have a little bit of a coolant leak, but hopeful I can get that cleaned up next weekend. I'm trying to get all the mechanicals buttoned up and in top shape before I start on the body work.

Here is a close up of the cracking and pealing cross decals. These look like they are going to be a pain to get all cleaned up.

And here is the thin paint on the roof and you can see the reminaints of were the top cross was. I'm debating whether or not to reapply the top cross, as it looks like is will be a pain to do and nobody would likely even see it. But I would like it to look like it did while in service.
    Dave

The 725 exhaust stack for the fording kit is different from the 715 one as well. You have to see them next to each other to notice it though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Are you stripping the truck completely to paint it, or just a sand and spray? Or at least not worried too much about the original finish?

If a sand and spray, then I'd recommend a bit of the good old paint stripper in the aerosol cans to remove those old decals. NAPA sells it and I use it pretty regularly. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, then scrape off the decals. Since it works one layer at a time, it usually removes the decal and doesn't mess with too much of the paint beneath it. Then you can blend the edges with a DA when you sand in prep for paint.

'Course, were it me, I'd scorch the earth with a sandblaster.....

As far as the cross on top, you just know if you take it to a MV show where there is a fly-in, some wiseacre will comment about the lack of the red cross on top.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks Randy, I'm still debating whether to go all the way or just the sand and paint.
    Dave

Well I finished up working on the main mechanicals with the M725 this weekend. Finally got the coolant leak sealed up, and did a basic tune up. She runs great and fires right up with a touch of the start button. Only other thing I still need to take care of is an exhaust leak between the manifold and down pipe. The bolts are so rusted that they will not budge, and I'm going to have to just cut them off so I can replace the gasket. I ended up putting around 50 miles on it just bopping around local places. So now that I have that done, it's time to move on to getting it ready for the paint and body work. The goal for the end of the week is to get the old crosses stripped off so I can start work on the box sides.
    Dave

Well, with the truck running well, I have made the decision to hold off on the body work until after Memorial Day so that I can add it in to the fleet that I run in the parade. It is good enough shape looks wise for the parade. I have started to knock down the couple of bad spots along the drip rails to get them cleaned up and will put a little spray paint on them for the parade to cover them up.

Both sides will need it done. Also in sanding it down is spots it appears to have only ever had one repaint over the original 24087. The top layer appears to maybe be 34079 which was the forrest green used in the 70's and early 80's before CARC green was used. It is definatly a different green than the darker 24087 under it. And in spots where the 34079 flaked off and exposed the 24087 has faded to a different color than what the rest has faded to.
    Dave

I cleaned up the front bumper this week and got it all done in time for the Memorial Day parade next monday. It's marked for my uncles unit he served 2 tours in Vietnam with, 11th Combat Aviation Batt., 759th Medical of the 173rd Assault Helicopter Co. the Robin Hoods out of Phu Loi. If all goes well this week I'll get the rear crossmember and bumperettes cleaned and done as well.
    Dave