Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Axle Flange Gasket

Default Rear Axle Flange Gasket

I know the gasket could be made in the shop, but I'd like to use a pre-made gasket nevertheless. Does anyone have a part number(s) for the Rear Axle Flange Gasket so I can get it at my local FLAPS for this weekend? I know I can get these online, but I'd rather go local so I can have it by the weekend and so I can support the local FLAPS.

The ball peen hammer on a manila envelope method is funner. Being constructively creative with a hammer. What is better in life?

Sorry I don't have the proper part number for you. If it isn't the same as a D70 or 14 bolt, you local store probably won't have it in stock anyway. Take an axle shaft to the store and ask for flange gaskets that fit the normal 1 ton axles. Then try them on for size.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Skip the gasket. Just use the "Right stuff". Available at your local parts store.

Memphis equip has the gaskets if you absolutely must have one.

Or do as Barrman does and just pound one out.

The right stuff is easier, faster and better. It cures in a couple of minutes. It's not the same as silicone sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Skip the gasket. Just use the "Right stuff". Available at your local parts store.

Memphis equip has the gaskets if you absolutely must have one.

Or do as Barrman does and just pound one out.

The right stuff is easier, faster and better. It cures in a couple of minutes. It's not the same as silicone sealer.
    That's not the same "Right Stuff" that Home Depot sells, which is expanding foam is it?

But seriously, I had never heard of pounding out a gasket with a ball peen hammer until I saw it done on the road, in convoy in Colorado in 1969! So, yes, they did do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    That's not the same "Right Stuff" that Home Depot sells, which is expanding foam is it?

But seriously, I had never heard of pounding out a gasket with a ball peen hammer until I saw it done on the road, in convoy in Colorado in 1969! So, yes, they did do it that way.
    I'll have to try the Right Stuff. Been using Ultra Black with good results.

My Auto Mech teacher in high school wouldn't buy gaskets separate. If a part didn't come with one he had us make one, said it was a "life skill". He pushed tracing it out and using a hole punch for the bolt holes. He also showed us how to use a ball peen but.... invariably... every year he'd catch one of us knuckleheads trying to pound out a valve cover or oil pan gasket. Then he'd go to cussing and really chewing on that cigar.

The Right Stuff by Permatex is amazing I have to agree. It is better than using a hammer to make things even.

It comes in an aerosol can and comes out just like cheese wiz. Just don't eat it.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The Right Stuff by Permatex is amazing I have to agree. It is better than using a hammer to make things even.

It comes in an aerosol can and comes out just like cheese wiz. Just don't eat it.
    YUM.
    How's it hold up to storage after use? Does the stuff left in the nozzle dry out?
    I hate that when the Ultra Black in the end of the tube dries out and I have to cut the side of the tube...

Kinda pricey compared to the UB, but if it stores well it'd save me money in the long run.

It's better than UB. It sets faster. Works great for diff covers and trans pans.

But yes you do have to fish out the plug in the nozzle after it sets. Haven't yet figured out how to make that job easier. Really not much different than other silicone products.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    It's better than UB. It sets faster. Works great for diff covers and trans pans.

But yes you do have to fish out the plug in the nozzle after it sets. Haven't yet figured out how to make that job easier. Really not much different than other silicone products.
    But it comes out, thats an improvement. .... That's the 5 oz tubes you use in the caulking gun? Or the cheez whiz cans with the plastic cap? Those look like a bear to get the plug out and have usable tube left.

Looking at it on Amazon, 2 tubes and a gun for $24. Or the Right Stuff Grey, 7.5 oz in a cheez whiz can for $20.

The removable tips on the caulking gun tubes.... hmmm..

I'm sold, thank ya gents.

The stuff continues to expand a bit after you stop letting it out of the can. Leave the little curly cue there. Then, after it dries and the next time you go to use it. Gently pull on the curly cue extra and move it around some. That will break loose the part in the neck of the plastic spout.

Remove the spout and if you did it right. The entire plug will come out as a single slug that can be thrown very easily at a co worker or the trash can. I have about a 50% success rate with the above method.

The rest of the time I use a paper clip from the narrow end to release it from the spout and then it pops out pretty easy.

6.2 valve covers, 6.2 water pump backing plate to engine and the front of the 6.2 oil pan gaskets are perfect uses of the right Stuff in my experience. Besides the already mentioned diff covers. No leaks yet on several vehicles.