Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what do the markings say

Bump r, If you go to the Quirks manual, the picture shows only the c above the 0/5 on the truck and trailer combination. The others do not show a c above.

Bill, cool pics. I've never seen it painted on the bumper. However I have read somewhere that in WWII the GIs were told to use whatever they could find like the bottom of a coffee can. I guess this was due to limited supply. Also, I wondered why your truck would have a six instead of the five. Only thing I could figure is if it were towing something other than the 3/4 ton trailer like a 1 1/2 ton trailer or something. Cool pics though, post more as you find more markings. Dave

O.k. you asked for it. This looks like they either messed up or the truck was painted more than once. I figured the CT NG stands for Connecticut National Guard. I don't know what the A VN stands for.

Mess up or change in procession in a convoy?

Last one! I thought you were suppose to lift them with those things that are on the wheel hubs? It might be hard to make out but it says lift here.

Probly sometime in the life of the truck the office of The Adjutant General (TAG) of the state of CT changed hands and the new guy said I want all trucks marked this way. So all the truck were redone to say CT-NG. Then the unit markings. I'm not sure what AVN is I will see if I can find out. The truck was in Alpha company and went either from the 6 to 7 or other way around. Not a big deal, they proble got a new jeep or lost a truck and that changed the road march...probly when they repainted the bumber markings. This is not an uncommon thing to see in M series trucks.
    Zone holster maker

I don't understand how to decode the markings. My truck had several markings over the years. The latest were 2A??? and C-28. The oldest was 502S on the passenger and HBGF on the driver side. Is that 502nd Support ? What the heck is HBGF?

2A = 2nd Army and C-28 is Charlie Compay vehicle 28. If is was armor it would have been 2 and the delta triangle and Artillery would have been 2 Arrty. Man I'm going to have to look up my markings manual again... 502 S could be signal I have no clue on HBGF.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu
    Man I'm going to have to look up my markings manual again...
    Please do...I am curious what my A VN stands for.

Your right, it is a triangle, not an "A". So it's 2nd Armor

i was in an aviation/transportation repair unit. i cannot remember for sure but it seemed like our trucks had avn on them. that was a long time ago , so i'm not sure.