Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you had the choice... 523 Ford or 502 Chevy?

If you are worried about breaking an Atlas maybe you should think of a NP 202. I don't know how hard they are to find though.

Joel

I forgot about the TH400. I read somewhere that the 400 has one more bearing inside than the C6. That extra support gives it greater durability when put behind a big engine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman
    I forgot about the TH400. I read somewhere that the 400 has one more bearing inside than the C6. That extra support gives it greater durability when put behind a big engine.
    I think they are both fine transmissions...I have ruined a few TH400's in my day and in all truth am a bit leary of them.....on the other hand I have absolutly abused a C-6 and had WAY beyound the call of duty performance from it...that said maybe my TH400 luck has just been a fluke. But I filled that C-6 with water probably 5 times and once I didn't know it and drove it tell it stopped with a nice "strawberry shake" foam seeping out of the vents and the dipstick tube...we were on the trail so we towed it to the trailer and called it "junk" few days latter i drained it...flushed with fresh fluid and ran it another few years. It was so meesed up that when I finally decided I HAD to rebuild it I took it to a transmission man local here and he called me the following day and called me a liar...I had told him I drove it into the garage no sweat. He showed me the broken drum and twisted output shaft and.... long story short he chormed some of the parts and put them on a wall with a little sighn about frequant service is a good idea lol

That said I know many with TH400 that have served them just as well.so in my book I am unconcerned...BUT the TH400 is lighter...and the 502 is lighter than the Ford...this is starting to sway me that direction.

NoRM

I was referring to the ability to handle brute strength applied real hard. Such as in a drag race. The torsional load placed on a trans in that situation is helped by the extra bearing. For extended beating, I have also had better experience with the C6. I think most of that is related to stock cooling abilities. Ford in my opinion did a better job of providing a way to cool non heavy duty type trucks. Chevy always seemed to try and do it on the cheap.

Having said all of that, if I were to want an automatic, I would go with the TH400 and an aftermarket radiator designed to provide tremedous tranny cooling, run synthetic fluid and keep my exhaust as far from the case as possible.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I think everyone who's read any of my posts know I'll vote Chevrolet on this. This may seem a bit broad at first, but how many rebuilds does that poked out ford have left on it? You've still got another .155" you can still safely overbore the big Chevy. The big block fords make me nervous as hell in the cam area too. Too much spring pressure and the block needs linebored to put needle cam bearings in it to keep it alive. I'll give a big ford it's respect, but for the long haul I'd give Chevy the nod.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Quote Originally Posted by spicergear
    I think everyone who's read any of my posts know I'll vote Chevrolet on this. This may seem a bit broad at first, but how many rebuilds does that poked out ford have left on it? You've still got another .155" you can still safely overbore the big Chevy. The big block fords make me nervous as hell in the cam area too. Too much spring pressure and the block needs linebored to put needle cam bearings in it to keep it alive. I'll give a big ford it's respect, but for the long haul I'd give Chevy the nod.
    Well...not to argue brand specific as I like em all basically. The BB Ford I own has a bunch left...it is a Motorsports block. I have never had a cam issue in MANY years of running big inch Fords...roller cam/triple valve springs and monster seat pressure to deal with .650lift type cams has never caused an issue....the engine in my old Bronco now is a bit tamer than that but has run a "over .600" cam for over 40K road miles and MANY trail rides/dunes runs..snow etc. Never any real isseus other than the ocassional replacement of valve springs.

I am leaning towrds the Chevy for reasons of weight, size, ease of aquiring headers, and to a small extent the fact my tow rig is a BB Chevy so parts will/can be shared when trailering...although I plan to drive this M-715 a bunch.

I have never owned a BB Chevy I have been happy with the cooling...(maybe I am cursed) including a truck I bought new, a few I have built and one i own now... it always runs REAL warm if worked hard...something I have never really had problems with running the Ford..but I am sure this is something I can square away one way or the other.

NoRM

Oh, Motorsports block...no problem. Stock 460 block don't take to kindly to heavy valve springs. I've run across this several times in person as well as seen it in text.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I built a hollman moody 428 for my bosses boat 2 yrs ago and its still runnin strong and breakin parts that link it to the v-drive. no problem with the engine. it turns 4000 to 6000 all day long. Im now building a 460 up for his car(truck, Lincoln) he uses it to pull his boat with so I stepped back on the cam only as the block is fully race prepped w/steel crank w/screw in studs ect. it ought to pull it in half when its done. if you take care of the weakest point and build from top parts ford will survive but the valvesprings never will. chevy is my favorite engine to build but really I enjoy building all of em, mostly hp as that is a labor of love for me. I never have a problem with overheating unless i try to skimp on the rad. cooling capacity or leave out the shroud. this Ive done too and burnt up a $20,000 dollar engine in my car, not a customers. that was a bad deal.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

I have seen some fatblock chevies eat cams with high seat pressures on flat tappet cams. No problems with roller cams.