Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Steering Coupler?

Default M715 Steering Coupler?

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    A Full Size Jeep technician told me that this assembly (photo that Nail provided) isn't heavy-duty enough. He had them in stock, but he didn't recommend them for my application because they aren't cross listed for any Jeep year below 1973.

So, I broke down (insert happy sobbing here) and bought the one in Greece. The entire assembly NOS (upper shaft plus complete coupler assembly) was $230.68 and that includes shipping. I asked for a tracking # and I used PayPal to pay for it.

I didn't think that was a bad price. It looks just just like the one in Dan's photo...all pretty in black. haha.

They have lotsa hard-to-find parts.

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...re-parts/m-715

It’s heavy enough for an IH 1-ton 4x4, so I’m guessing the difference lies in the PS in the IH vs the Armstrong in the 715.

I’ve seen that Greek site. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen that sells M715 brake drums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Nail,
    Can you unpack those abbreviations for me please?

"PS in the IH vs the Armstrong in the 715" ??

Thanks!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    Hey Nail,
    Can you unpack those abbreviations for me please?

"PS in the IH vs the Armstrong in the 715" ??

Thanks!
    Brian
    Sorry, Brian, that's "power steering", straight out of old-school printed classifieds, as I remember them. I remember ads like " Ford F-250 3/4t PU with AT, PS, PB, PW..." Every letter saved was money saved, so those classifieds could become pretty cryptic. The one above would be advertising a pickup with automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, and power windows, for example.

Right now, I feel older than ever.

Got it, thanks for clarifying!

I am no spring chicken being 60 myself. Don't feel old...it happens to everyone. Gravity wins.

If you want to though, you can come to my classrooms everyday. A great portion of today's community college students don't even know what Gilligan's Island is. Seriously, I have to explain things to them whenever I make a joke or a reference from the past.

McGuyver? They have no clue. Opie Taylor, Barney Fife or Andy Griffith? No idea either. Quadraphonic sound? They're like, "Sounds cool, what it is?"

They come to class wearing pajamas and flip flops and face paint. I had a student tell me that she can't check her email because it gives here anxiety. My response, "That's a tough one, what are you going to do?"

Yeah...it's like that.
    Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 13th, 2020 at 03:07 PM.

I paid $230, and for some reason he refunded me 22 Euros. Okay by me. And...shipped from Greece in 4 days! Wow! I am in Reno and I can't even get something shipped from Sacramento in 4 days.

You can see the scratches in the floor that my dogs make: German Shorthaired Pointer and German Wire-haired Pointer. Kinda high energy dogs.

Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; February 17th, 2020 at 01:48 PM.

Yep, it's probably a VAT (value added tax) refund since you're in USA. I bought a fan shroud from him last year, but it arrived broken. I was able to repair it with JB Weld though.

Where did you get your parts. Im about to rebuild mine and locking for parts.

Depending upon exactly what you need, I found a couple of places.

First, Memphis Equipment has some steering parts, and they have the parts diagram that's on this site (Maintenance Manuals), which differs slightly from the parts diagram you can find here.

Second, I decided it was taking too long to piece it all together, so I just bought the entire upper shaft and coupler assembly from this place in Greece:

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...re-parts/m-715

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know where to buy the boot?

I don't think you can buy the M715 boot separately, and even if you did find one that is on a steering shaft, it would be dry and crumbly, if not completely unusable. I called all over the US looking for the coupler.

You might try fullsizejeeps.com

Lighter weight couplers with the same design as the M715 are available. They might have a boot, but I can't say for sure.