Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Not again!!!

The age of your fuel could also be a problem if you don't drive it enough. My CJ-8 didn't want to start this weekend without a shot of b-12 (carb cleaner). Wouldn't even fire. It runs once started but the gas is old and doesn't have the oomph it should have.

You know kwai, I will admit I don't burn alot of fuel. My truck sits in the garage through the winter, but does get started about once a week and idles until it reaches it's running temperature. Short of draining the fuel tank, any suggestions? When my problem first started, I put $20 or $25 worth of fresh gas in the tank. Hate to have to drain it and waste it. Plus, I don't think this is the problem. Bad gas wouldn't let the truck idle so smoothly would it?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Bad gas wouldn't let the truck idle so smoothly would it?
    It's possible for the engine to be idling on the gas in the carb bowl, and then get a slug of water from the fuel tank caused by phase separation.
    Check this out.
    http://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty/Lea...ol-Fuel-062512

[QUOTE=jeepdan;264290]It's possible for the engine to be idling on the gas in the carb bowl, and then get a slug of water from the fuel tank caused by phase separation.
    Check this out.

Thanks Dan, I'll check out the link.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have thrown a match into a bucket of old gas and it didn't burn. If it smells "varnishy", I would drain it and put in fresh gas. Premium or non-ethanol gas if you can find it. Avgas works great too if you can get it.

If it's been a year since you put in gas, I would drain it and put in fresh gas. Easy to do since there is handy plug in the bottom of the tank.

BTW, my jeep idles fine with the old crappy gas, just doesn't start easily. It starts fine if I strap a 5 gallon gas can to the bumper going into the fuel pump.

If you want to test the gasoline difference, get a 5 gallon can and strap it to the bumper. Run a fuel line host from the can to the fuel line located on the drivers side of the engine just above the frame rail. I break the line there and just hose clamp the temporary line to the hard line on the engine.