Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Starting my tear down

Default Starting my tear down

I plan to start tearing down my truck this weekend and this is gonna be trial by fire exercise. During a moment of clarity I almost sold the truck back to the guy I bought it from, but girlfriend talked me into keeping it. I've never attempted anything on this scale and I know its going to take a few years to do.

I'm fairly certain the body should come off to do this properly and I'll start with what I think should be straight forward in removing the bed. Is there any thing that is an absolute "DO"? Any "DO NOT'S"? What should I trash and what should I try to save? I know those are very broad questions, but I'm looking for some general advice from the guys that have been down that road.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    Thanks again guys. So my plan is to make this a truck a truck I can cruise around town in. I've been digesting as much info as I can in preparation. (I wish I had more pics but truck is 250 miles away and I wont be towing it home until mid November.) First off I'm decently mechanically inclined (with mostly bolt on type of stuff). I had a F150 with 375,000k on it and never once wen to a mechanic. I have access to welders, torches, and other metal fab equipment. Couple generic questions:

1. I'd like to swap the axles to 8 lug and the consensus is go with axles out of CUCV. What type of modifications are needed to accomplish this?

2. 24v vs 12v what is the better way to go?

3: Power steering, my girl is a jeep girl and would love to drive this. How difficult to fit it with power steering?

Sorry for the questions that you've probably answered many times.

Thanks again
    If you are planning on an axle swap I'd start with that. I've not done one myself so I will leave that answer to those that have.

What I have done on both trucks I've worked on is power steering. It is a simple bolt on option both times I've done it. I have also done power brakes on two trucks. I used a hydroboost in both cases. Again mostly easy and "almost" bolt on.

As for 12 volt or 24 volt, I was going to say leave it 24 if you have a stock engine but I see you already have a v8 engine in it. I would think if the engine is 12 volt like mine is I'd convert the truck to 12 volt.

As for do's and not, I say make a plan before you start and stick to the plan.

It looks like you have the stock master cylinder. I'd recommend planning on swapping that for a dual reservoir master for safety.

Ultimately I'm fairly certain the drive line will be replaced. I have a decent budget and not under any timeline.

One thing I learned is not to put budget before brains. It will get expensive. Plan the job like your funds are limited because the little things eat money fast.

As far as saving things i save as much as I have space for because i always seems to need what i just tossed out.

Spend time doing research before you order parts.

Choose a budget based on parts you need to replace, then double it for the little things. Double it again if you want to change some things.

I would (if not keeping as close to original) do an axle swap-4.10 gearing, maybe 4.56. Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel , 5 speed manual(4l80e auto) 12 volt system, but dual batteries, winch and lights. I would do a shackle flip and soa(spring over axle) 38" tires

With so many options it is always best to sit down and start scribbling down ideas on a notepad, then pick the ones you really want and make a final list. Then stick to it. You can wander way too fast from a to do list, and before you know it a floor patch job turned into a frame up restoration.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Here's a few pic of my teardown progress. I think I yank the motor and tranny tomorrow.

Here's a couple updated photos

I was going to try to repair rusted out cross member but decided to replace it

Still gotta finish installing. I think I'm going to use the rivet holes and bolt it in.

Few pics of rear leaf spring shackle repair.

Default Cool project

Looking great man, keep those pics coming. Especially as you dive into drivetrain and bodywork! Nice!