Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

That's a good idea for those corner covers in the cab, perfect speaker boxes.

I have some work to do before I get to the box but plans are to remove just about everything. Behind the drivers side rear door, I'd cut the floor lowering about 5-6' for a shower/toilet. Next to that would be a cabnets for propane stove/sink with a window, then frig/microwave.

For added space I'm thinking about 2 pop ups. First cut out the roof to raise it another 1.5 to 2 feet for standing room. Second cut out the passenger side wall approx 4" by 6".

The wall would hinge at the bottom laying flat when opened, this would be enough room for the bed and raised be the backing of a couch. A tent would have to be made like the side pop out campers that would open up as the wall is lowered. Sorry for the poor quality graphics but attached is a drawing of this idea.

Nice rig, sounds like a good build, I'm just finishing up my 715, I installed a 6.2 diesel, cheap and fairly easy didn't require a spring over or engine mounts.

pretty ambitious Panther- hope you don't lose some of the structural integrity by cutting out the vertical and/or horizontal reinforcement pillars between the insulated walls.
    I did find a duplicate side compartment door (the little one on pass. side) Going to make an identical compartment on the driver side. Other than the sliding windows (46" x 14"), which will fit behind the half-way-back vertical beams in the box, I don't think I'm gonna cut anything else.

Well today marks the official start of the project!
    First here are some better quality before pics instead of the cell phone.

Here's a 37" MTR next to it stock height.

This the tire I'm thinking about running but it depends on availability.

I'm very impressed with the condition it's in for how old it is.

The rust you see is just surface and there no rot to speak of.

I cant say enough how cool this rig is, this project is an absolute blast!

There's some much stuff I'm I have to learn but the Dodge gets towed tomorrow so more updates then.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Mmmmmmmmm...fresh project. I love seeing a truck ready to get overhauled.

I know you're going with the Dodge powerplant, but are you going to go auto or manual trans?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default m725 expedition vehicles unite

Panther,

Congrats on the great find. I love the exchange of ideas from fellow 725 owners. i'm still in the basic drivetrain upgrade mode. I'll be swapping in
    axles from a chevy 4wd dually running on H1 hummer wheels, a hydroboost
    m/c and power steering for now. I have a few ideas for the camper part of the
    build as well. I'm thinking of adding a couple windows at the rear of the box and maybe having only one rear door in the middle of the rear to create corner space on either side. I think a Thetford c4 casette toilet will be a perfect fit in rt. rear corner between the wheel well and rear door.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THETFORD-C4-R%...61610001r28440
    I'm watching craigslist and ebay for a used flippac roof tent.It is the only roof tent that provided the head room to standup while allowing someone to be sleeping at the same time. Check out: http://www.flippac.com Just chop off
    the pick up shell part of it, cut a hole in the roof and graft it to the roof. Much like the Earthroamer Jeep. Kitchen, sink, and cabinets on the driver side rear. Rear side seating on the passenger side. outside shower hatch.
    If you haven't found it already checkout http://www.expeditionportal.com and whatever you do don't subscribe to the Expedition Journal magazine
    unless you plan on spending hours on the can reading it from cover to cover.
    Jokes aside it has great reviews,stories and equipment comparisons.
    Well thats my 2 cents for now.

-Charles

That's a good point about structural strength, I'm noticing the thinkness of the walls is more than I was expecting.

Were the walls and doors intended to be bullet proof?

One thing with the roof pop up and wall pop out is that I would keep the sheetmetal in place, when closed they would fit flush with the body. I wouldn't drive with them open but I may have to the area at the pass side barn door.

Randy, I'm sticking with the whole dodge set up at this point, the 727/205 and the axles which I'm guessing are 4.10s. Overdrive would be great but I dont think this would be a bad ratio for the cummins and 37's, calc says 2600 rpms.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I think that should make an excellent combination. I am getting ready this winter to go diesel, so just soaking up some other ideas myself.

I look forward to watching this one materialize.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I've thought about a 725 as a camper and considered doing a "pop-up." Buy an old camper and rob it of the tent portion and lifting mechanism, cut around the entire circumference of the ambulance top and grafting the lifting poles/tent to it. The support poles for the slide out ends could be put into a bracket on the front/rear corners of the box. You'd lose a couple inches of head room when it was stored but gain 2 queen sized sleeping areas when extended.
    Of you could skip the camper thing and just do the lift with some tenting materiel to give you head room. 6" lift would only hang 3" of materiel down inside when closed.

Charles,
    Thanks for posting, I'm glad someone else is doing an EV with the same M725, that's great and you'll have to let me know how the camper comes along. Do you have a build thread?
    I like that toilet and will have to watch out for those. I'm on expedition portal as "sojourner" (the name of this rig) and am reading up on ideas for the camper. If your able to pull of the flic pac, I might go the same route.

Right now I'm working on rust prevention and drivetrain.