Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maiden voyage

Truth be told Nailhead, anything electrical scares me. Just the words wire harness scares me. I fully understand what you mean when you say 12v over the counter items are easier though. I'm kind of a fully stock original kinda guy. With all my recent trouble with my coil problem, I'm happy to report that the last two times my truck was out on the road, she ran perfect, including tonight. I'm really impressed with the Pertronic's electronic ignition system I installed. Seems to be smoother through the rpm range.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Happy to hear that you have gone on a few trouble free drives. I miss my truck, I won't be home until mid September!!

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Truth be told Nailhead, anything electrical scares me. Just the words wire harness scares me. I fully understand what you mean when you say 12v over the counter items are easier though. I'm kind of a fully stock original kinda guy. With all my recent trouble with my coil problem, I'm happy to report that the last two times my truck was out on the road, she ran perfect, including tonight. I'm really impressed with the Pertronic's electronic ignition system I installed. Seems to be smoother through the rpm range.
    These electrics are second nature to me: red for positive, black for negative, easy-peasy. This comfort with DC electrics really screwed me up when I started working with AC, however...

I get the original thing, and if I'd started with a complete M715, I would have probably gone the original resto route. Instead, I started with a flatbed firetruck with all the modifications fire zones are known for, and it wasn't sensible to procure & install an NOS M715 wiring harness (if such a thing exists) when a good quality aftermarket one was easily available, and likely cheaper, for example.

Good to hear about the improvement. I really like how my truck runs & starts with the Pertronix, though I have no experience with a points ignition to compare it with.

I can't say I really had trouble with the points and condenser. I had purchased the Pertronic's a while back (maybe 2 years ago) and after having the ignitor cover off while waiting for my new coil. I said what the heck, I might as well install it and see what happens. I wish someone could confirm my belief that the motor is smoother between shifts and it most definitely starts easier and a lot quicker. I don't think my flywheel makes a complete 360 degree revolution and the engine is fired up. I'm glad you assured me that your truck runs and starts well.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

In checking eBay, I stumbled across this. You might contact this guy and ask if these are new productions, used or NOS. if new, I would not be interested. If NOS, I would be VERY interested. If tested good used, this could be the one for the glove box!

Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-WILLYS-...tMu0Ww&vxp=mtr

Interesting Don, but to me it looks like a chromed coil again. It's listed as new, but I don't think it's NOS. Plus, he wants $22.00 for shipping. Kinda high in my opinion. I'll look further into it though. Thanks for your help and concern. G-day!

This item is listed as from Istanbul, Turkey. Not sure I'd like to take a chance on an online coil from overseas.

For quite some time, there has been a seller in Turkey who seems to have a lot of the items for our trucks. But... I don't know anything about this seller or if the items are actually NOS Kaiser Jeep parts or some knockoff items. He used to have 230 engine bearings too.

Yes, shipping is a killer today and as you feel, I would be hesitant to make a purchase too. Hopefully, some good coils will surface somewhere.

I may be wrong Don, but if you look carefully at the center terminal of that coil, it almost looks as though it's corroded. Because it's on the other side of the world, I think I'll pass for now.

I just went back to this guys site again. I must be seeing things. He's got a coil for sale, (Buy it now) for $175.00 and $99.00 shipping. Someone tell me I misread it.