Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on the tornado

Default Giving up on the tornado

I just can't get this thing running right. Starts great and seems to run well but doesn't have much power. I rebuilt the carb first and got her running. Someone before me hacked the military spark plug wires to splice civy wires and plugs. I did the best I could to rewire it but I think the distributor, wiring, and coil are suspect. I just don't know if I want to spend any more time or money on this engine. I adjusted the valves and compression is great but I think this engine will need someone more familiar to get her running right.

From what I read the SBC is the easiest swap. Is that correct? What are the pitfalls that I should consider before embarking on the swap?

I put a 454 in mine first.. cooling was my issue with the factory radiator.. then it was fuel milage, 6-10 mpg..
    It was a easy swap if you are a welder and fabricator..
    Next i went diesel.. should have done it in the first place power... and 15 mpg..
    Cummins 12v....nv4500.

The availability of mount and transmission adapters make the Chevy swap easier. The adapters are pretty expensive though. And they are for mounting to the stock transmission, and most people end up wanting an overdrive transmission instead.
    Then rewiring for the ignition. Either wiring in a 12 volt branch just for ignition or converting the while system to 12 volt.

If you can do a little cutting and welding, sometimes it's "easier" to replace all of it at once. And if you can cut and weld then pretty much anything that came in a car or pickup will fit.

You will find examples of every conceivable engine swap here. I would look for an engine/2wd OD trans combo to drop into the truck, rather than keeping the T98. Or 4wd trans / married TC if you don't want to deal with the NP200's issues. Lots of options.
    Last edited by Mikel; June 19th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

Ford 300 I6, Cummins 6BT 5.9, Chevy SBC seem to be the big ones...

LSx, Big Block, and 8.1L Vortecs have also been done/inprogress also.

I drove my tornado home and pulled it.... it ran... barely.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Don't ask me, I love the Jeep 230 CID Tornado engine. Mine runs just great, not a lot of power but it is what I remember from... 1969-70 when I drove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Don't ask me, I love the Jeep 230 CID Tornado engine. Mine runs just great, not a lot of power but it is what I remember from... 1969-70 when I drove them.
    And my guess is if you didn't have those memories and emotional attachment you would have or would at least be considering an engine swap.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    And my guess is if you didn't have those memories and emotional attachment you would have or would at least be considering an engine swap.
    I wouldn't consider a swap, my 715 will be as stock as it could be with the slight exception of possibly LED auxiliary lights, and a 12v accessory plug for things like a dash cam.

I'm trying very hard to keep the reo oa331 gas motor in my M35, has a few issues, and fuel economy is poor (4-6mpg) but I wouldn't want to swap it at all (and I'm a diesel guy at heart.)

But, in all honesty, the sbc is going to be the best option, so many configurations available for making the most power.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the 230. I did put the electronic ignition in it. It's doing great.
    Thanks for all the help!

If you are going to pull the 230, i believe someone from Maine is looking...
    Is that real money?