Thread: Gas filler neck

Default Gas filler neck

I finally dipped into my wallet for a new gas filler neck before the old one turns to crumbles. I've only been putting it off 9 years now....

Before I go to do the swap--are there any things that tend to bite or tips/tricks to save hassles? Everything looks obvious...but tight clearances and fit might make the change a bit fiddly. I figured it was better to ask a silly sounding question before I dug in and had issues than battle something there was an easy procedure to accomplish if you knew the "trick".

Hopefully the answer is "Goes right in, slick as snot".

Thanks

Warm it up with a heat gun to make it more pliable and a squirt of silicone spray would not hurt either.

Replace the vent line end rubber if you unbolt the filler neck from the bed to do the hose swap. I did not replace my then 48 year old rubber piece when I change out my hose in 2015. I am using the vent line as the diesel return line. It swelled up and turned off my engine. Took forever to figure it out too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Dish soap works nicely for fitting rubber parts like this. Also, setting the filler hose out in the midday sun to soften it up can be helpful.