Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Block Chevy

You'll get really good power by running open chamber heads (120cc) and lower the compression down to a ratio that will run cooler, run on 87 if you keep the time 6*-8* btdc, you'll make up for the compression loss by having better flame travel (flame propogation) across the top of the piston, AND you can run a high torque cam and have it really work well! Unless you got a mass of money to burn don't go the way of the gear drive cam timing sets. The idler gears tranmit torsional vibrations (why you have a harmonic dampener) that you don't want in your engine...up to the cam, the consequently through the lifters. Run a chain or drop a hunk on a Jesel equivilent belt...but, personally, I won't run a PJ style gear drive.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will sit down with the machine shop guys when I get the money collected for the pistons, after the FE, and figure out a combination of piston that will get me in the low to mid 9:1 range.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I think everybody knows by know that the block is great and the heads were done very wrong. Maybe I can look back in two years and laugh. Not now.

This flashback stuff is pretty crazy. And I'll laugh for you. . . or at if you prefer. Did you try the thinner trick by Bob?- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I didn't need to try the thinner. I was looking over the guys shoulder as he finished them the other day. He did a leak test like it for me. I painted all the parts Thursday night and got it going Saturday morning.

It has more torque and power than ever. No noises either. The best way to describe it is like this. Just about any vehicle with a granny gear does not need throttle to be applied when you let out the clutch slowly in that gear. I used to have to give a little in second. Now, I can let the clutch out in second like it was a granny gear and third from a stop just needs a toe twitch to make it go. I only drove it up and down my dirt road, so I haven't opened it up yet. I have to get Jennifer to help me put the freshly painted hood back on before I get on the road. I will drive it to work Tuesday and play then.