Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: generator instead of alternator

Default generator instead of alternator

These trucks came with alternators. My has a old generator with external box. Like the m37s. Did some of these come with a generator?

There were a few odd units built that had unusual stuff...one of a kind type...have heard of a handful that said they had a generator...never seen a pic though.

Does the truck have any other unusual stuff electrically on it? Radio or lighting or something?

Default Here's the pics

No, everything else is normal. Like stock.

Here is the box:

Here is the generator:

Mine was apparently a radio truck. Here's what I've got under the hood:

I would love to learn what all these parts do if anyone knows and can explain it in layman's terms....

(Oops! I'm missing a belt! Better get on that!)
    -- Tim Taylor

Binford, you have the 100 amp alternator....it is detailed here in the manuals:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap3-4

fwdstuck...I wonder if it is a replacement for the stock one or a one of a kind factory one...I havent seen one like that before...sorry I cant be more help.

I was thinking it might had a alternator on it at one time and it went down. And who ever owned the truck, stuck a generator on, out of a junked m37. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Binford, you have the 100 amp alternator....it is detailed here in the manuals:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap3-4
    Yup. That's it.

I noted an error on the first picture though. The numbered items 7 and 16 are reversed. #7 is listed as the Rectifier, but is really the Regulator and vice-versa.

Now I sort of know what those parts do. Rectifier changes AC to DC and the Regulator, well....regulates the current, eh?

So can I do anything special with this setup? Is there going to be a long line of folks trying to get that from me when I eventually do an engine swap?! Or no....?
    -- Tim Taylor

Nope, that thing is no good to you Tim, it actually is a disadvantage for what you want to do. Not worth much either, I'll take it off your hands for $20.

Seriously though, that is pretty cool that you have the high-amp setup there. Not sure if people would be clamoring for it, but I can imagine that it is worth something to a collector or someone who is trying to replicate a M-715 radio truck, as it seems there weren't many of this version made.

As far as benefits to you, I'm not sure. Yes you have 100 amp alternator versus the average 60-80 amp usually seen (I'm not sure what the regular 715 alt. amp rating is, but your average everyday alt. is around 60). Since its 24 volt though, I'm not sure what you could put in your 715 that is 24 volt and would benefit from the higher amp setup aside from 24V mil. radios.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by fwdstuck View Post
    I was thinking it might had a alternator on it at one time and it went down. And who ever owned the truck, stuck a generator on, out of a junked m37. Maybe?
    That's exactly right, a M37 or older jeep setup on a 715. If repowering, put it on ebay.

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment here. My truck that I had way back in the late 80's had the generator and voltage regulator like fwdstucks. As far as I could tell back then it came from the military that way. Maybe it was a unit modification for some reason?? Maybe like the some trucks head light buckets having the old style metal conectors that we've seen on here there was a batch of trucks that got the gen/volt system instead of the alt because alts weren't available during the production run or parts on hand type of thing. You all thought I was crazy when I said my truck was like that...

As for you Mr. Timmah Get a S-250 commo shelter and slap it into the bed and fill it with a T-195/R-392 with teletype equipment, a VRC-12 and a couple of VRC24's and your all set. You'll be the coolest kid on the block then....
    Zone holster maker