Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress at last!

Default Progress at last!

I have had the old red truck sitting at the shop for a while now. I had to move it to a friends but finally have made time to start the disassemble process.

[IMG][/IMG]

I found way more rust in the truck that was worth cutting out and fixing so, I went looking and found a different cab for it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Once the white truck arrived and was inspected I returned to the red trucks and here is where I'm at now.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As I move forward I'll update this thread.
    I now have 2 sets of axles, 2 frames and more 5/16" bolts than I know what to do with! As I pick through the parts, the ones that are worth keeping (and I don't need) will get posted on here in the classifieds.

Default new to sight &new to owning my M715

First of all good luck on your restoration, Thanks for sharing the photos. I hope to post some soon. You said something about listing some parts on the classified ,I have not found the classified section on this M715 zone sight yet . Am I missing it some how? Or is this sight missing something we all would love to see , A classified M715 only page !!! Thanks boonie well its probably already here , and I cant find it !!! help me out ,thanks

Boonie, Go to the home page, then to the bottom of it.
    Thanks for all the help!

Default A little more done

Ba-Jeez ti got cold!!!
    Glad I got almost everything indoors!
    So, the white cab is out of the way (kinda) and it's frame is awaiting the scrap run. I sold the axles that were under it so they are out of the way.
    Wednesday I used my Ibis-Tek towbar and brought the red jeep to the shop.
    Today, it was more "disassemble".

Hope to make more headway this weekend.

One question, For those who have done the full frame off rebuild, do I leave the axles under it so I can tow it to the blaster or do I pull them and haul the frame on a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by TXfirefighter View Post
    One question, For those who have done the full frame off rebuild, do I leave the axles under it so I can tow it to the blaster or do I pull them and haul the frame on a trailer?
    To do it right you should take it down all the way. Your blaster should have a means to handle the bare frame and rotate it.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I've had really good luck just leaving the axles attached. I explained to the blaster that the frame needed to be turned and shot from all sides and he nodded his head and made all the appropriate understanding noises.
    When I get them back I use a crain hoist to lift up one side then the other for painting, course I always find a few spots that were either missed or too thin.
    I do like the look of a clean, blasted and painted frame. POR may work well but it always looks "blotched on" to me, no definition. No offense, just sayin'

Well, The Holidays have kinda slowed the roll.
    I have managed to get everything to one location!
    I have a frame, rusty cab, rusty fenders and header panel along with lots of small stuff to get rid of.
    If your in need of small parts let me know and if I have them we can make them move to your location!
    If no one wants the spares I have, I'll be making a haul to the scrap yard in mid january.

I have been working on sorting all my parts. Lots have been sold on here and I wish to thank everyone who helped me thin things out.
    I bought a CUCV from the forestry service and have been disassembling it.
    I had intended to swap in the CUCV axles but am still on the fence about this. Most of the CUCV parts have been sold off so it is getting time to start moving forward again with this project.

Well CRIME!!!!!
    Dadgum 6.2 block is cracked on 3 of the 5 main bearing webs!!

Off to search for a new candidate for the 715 build.....

I used yellow paint pen to circle the area of the crack. The crack is the darker line inside the painted area. I found it with just brake clean. I sprayed off the area and blew on the area to dry the brake clean. The crack didn't dry and showed up right away.

Well that sux. Sorry to see that...