Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: elohim1 : ?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.

Default warthog :

Re: ?? removing rivots on rear spring mount.
    Post by warthog on Jun 9, 2006, 3:37pm

Don't remember drill bit size used, but wanted to keep it small so as to not weaken the bolt. Got the idea from the OEM bolt. Depth 3" and then cross drill down. I mounted the bolt with the hole on the topside, but later thought about it, I should have put on bottom side. As the most friction will be on the bottom side and harder to get the grease to ooze down there.

Default drvnkaiserdaily :

Post by drvnkaiserdaily on Jun 9, 2006, 4:01pm

I found when removing the perchs on another truck,that the pointed tip of my air hammer had swelled the rivet where it made the dimple .I took an old tip and ground it flat,and the others came right out.Hope it helps. Drvn

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jun 9, 2006, 4:49pm

Great stuff all 3 of you!! We have to save this as it does come up from time to time and this is the best answers for this problem I remember!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 9, 2006, 10:50pm

always remember on rivets. when a rivet is bucked it not only flattens out the head but it increases in diameter to completely fill the hole its in. a rivet is soft until bucked then it gets hard. there buggers to remove sometimes. on tough ones i always drill a hole about 1/2 of the diameter of the rivet this helps most of the time.
    bob

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on Jun 11, 2006, 7:44am

What Bob said, only if you drill real straight you can use a drill bit just undersize from the rivet diameter, then drill through the depth of the material leaving just the tail on the far side so you have something to punch against. I drilled some brackets yesterday and punched out the rivets with a hammer simple enough. This is how we did it on aircraft.

Default mikel :

Post by mikel on Jun 11, 2006, 6:17pm

I cut the heads off the bolts holding the post mounts in my J300 and the mounts came right out.

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on Jun 11, 2006, 8:22pm

I pilot drilled each rivot with a 1/4" drill. You need to center punch
    each rivot in the center as best you can,(after you grind head off). This will help center the pilot drill.
    I then drilled with a 3/8" drill, which I believe is the rivot size.
    I opened mine up to 1/2" so i could use a 1/2" grade8 bolt.

Use Cobalt drills, they are more expensive, but will last alot longer than your typical drills, even the ones with the gold coating.

When all rivots are out the bracket will still not come off. You will need to remove the weld off the spindle.

I used a 1 1/8" hole saw to cut the weld on the stud which goes through the frame and holds your spring. It is just welded on the exterior, inside the frame , the 1 1/8" hole saw has an inside diameter of 1" which fits right over the 1" spindle and allows you to cut the weld. Of course you can not use the pilot drill in the hole saw when doing this.

Here is the finished prouct. I will probably reweld the spindle inside the frame.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 12, 2006, 6:05pm

did you weld a reinforcing plate on the inside of the frame ? are you gonna have to use lift blocks on the rear end ?