Thread: 230 smoke

Default 230 smoke

I would just like a consensus on what would be wrong with my original 230. The motor has 17,000 miles on it. It starts instantly and runs great for the first 3 minutes with no smoke at all not even a puff of smoke on start-up. after 3 minutes it creates a huge smoke cloud behind the truck and looking at the motor, I see oil literally boiling out of three crack in the exhaust manifold. All the smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe though. I would think its the rings but not 100% A guy may be interested in buying all the original parts I have pulled out, so I would like to tell him how much work he's looking at.

The standard rule is a puff of blue on start up and you have bad valve seals. A blue cloud while running at idle is rings.

However, is yours a white or blue cloud? White means water is burning or rather flashing to steam and indicates a blown head gasket.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I cant remember, its been 6 months since I pulled the motor out. If the head gasket was that bad wouldn't it smoke right away instead of after about three minutes though? I could do a compression test but I don't have all the tools to pull the plugs. besides all the smoke the motor ran great.

Change the oil and replace one quart with a quart of Lucas Oil. It helped the smoke on my last one a bit.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Just a guess, It could be that once the engine warms up a little it expands and allowes the coolant to squirt past the compromised gastet???

If they are stock military plugs and wires, you can get the wires off with a wrench and the plugs can be removed by gettin the deepest deep socket you can find in that size and using it...it will reach.

You can cut the side out of a socket, like an O2 sensor socket is made, and use that on the plug wires as well.