Thread: Looking to get disc brakes

I'm sure it's here somewhere, can someone lead me in the right direction on ways to add disc brakes and 8 lug shafts? Is it easier to do the 35 spline convert or weld up and re stud the outer shaft and back shaft. I just got a 67 M715 on 5/1, I'm tearing it down, came with a chevy 292, unfinished from '87, old owner wanted to put 292 and chevy toploader, think I want to kill the old rust and get it driveable, no resto, just a fun truck, thanks for any help

theres alot of posts on it. search and you should get HOURS of reading. there are disc conversions, or axle swaps. i THINK axle swaps are cheaper, but you loose the cool stock axles

Default 29 Days and Counting

I'm thinking of actually using the truck, moderate offroading, etc, I know their built like a brick crap house, but I would really like some disc brakes to keep the pucker factor down, I saw a few posts on breaking stock shafts, are those mostly too much go pedal or abuse, or a general weakness after years? Also, how do the split rims hold up with other tires, swampers, etc. I have a machine shop at my disposal free at work, so it's only custom parts like splining the shafts we can't do. I work at a power plant, the millrights might be able to do splines, but it's better to find someone that does it all the time.......I think

Ever,

Lee is right- there have been countless discussions on the disk swap. There is a discussion going on right now on the Open board about a company called "Protool" that makes a disk setup that is custom and retains the stock rims, hubs, and shafts...I think.
    Everyone will tell you different, but were I to do it I'd do what Lee did (see his link above at the bottom of his post). He swapped out the axles with the more common GM 14 bolt and a Dana 60 and got both disks front and rear, a standard rim, and the ability to get ring gears and lockers almost everywhere.

The stock axles are strong, but rare as a hooker in church and thus if you want parts you REALLY gotta search. The cheapest way to go is most assuredly Lee's way....and most would argue that's also the best way. On a side note, if you get your stock brakes adjusted propperly then they'll lock up all 4 wheels and work as good as you can hope for. Power brake boosters are an option too for the stock ones. Your call.

Congratulations on your new rig and welcom to The Zone.
    -B.

thanks for the help guys, let me get the wheels and drums off, maybe I can put it off til later.....save some cash

Default [ POLL] how much money do you have invested in your 715???

Ever, on my 7 the Heli-tool disc brake kit was installed it went together very well and i have not had a problem . I have also installed a hydro boost brake system and it stops better than my 3/4 ton dodge truck . Curtis

thanks, i found that post, let me do some thinking about how much $ to throw at my truck, weeee fun ahead