Thread: ? about stock rims and newer tires.

Default ? about stock rims and newer tires.

My buddy picked me up a nice set of super swamper radials 37x12.50x16 for 50 bucks!!!!!

Of course, I must use these on the kaiser for new rubber.

? is, does the stock rims work with or without tubes for these tires??

Do you have to take these to a shop to mount and dismount or can you do it from home??

Little wide for the stock rime but you should be able to squeeze 'em on.
    You have to use an innertube - these are two piece rims and will not seal up.
    You can do it at home but if you have a big truck tire center around there you might want to check with them first - its a PITA job to do yourself.

Oh, congrats on the tire score!

cool, well I was going to use these for now..I really miss my rockwells and the power they have..Im trying to find or read about who has swapped rocks under there kaiser and what obstacles they faced doing it.. I heard a rumor once that the spring width matches rockwells spring width so they were in a sense bolt in??? Been reading but havent found it.

Im trying to decide whether or not I want to invest in keeping the truck "stock" with minor mods or "Heavy Duty" with a clean stock look to it like the rocks belonged in there.

But since the tires were cheap..and in great shape, I figured id run them for the time being and slowly build up my parts list.

Might want to get the bigger 1100x16 tubes, the 900x16's. will be kinda thin trying to fill that big tire. My,.02.

IIRC, the same tubes worked in the 11.00x16s as with the 9.00x16s. But the Swampers are quite a bit larger yet. I'd ask a tire shop their opinion as to fit for so narrow a rim as well as which size radial tube to use.

In addition to the tubes, you will also need "flaps." If you have the stock rims already, you will likely have them in there. Unless they're torn up, you can just reuse them.
    -- Tim Taylor

Ask 40grit about the rockwells as he has a set under his truck.
    I've never done it but with the square tube design of the rockwells it looks like a cinch! Of course you would have to do the shackle flip on the rear to keep the truck level (Since you are doing a SOA on the front) but that doesn't look too intimitading.

Do a search here and you should find a couple of good places to get the tubes and flaps and the recommended sizes. I know several have used the stock sized tube with a tire of that height - but they haven't had your width - I'd probably go with the 11x16 tube just to be safe.
    Good luck and make sure to post pics whatever you do.

Ron

my mistake..I thought the wheels were 8'' wide. I re read and found my own mistake.

Im trying to prepare for upgrades and simpler and cost effective items and I dont even have the truck at home yet.. Im getting ahead of myself and asking dumb questions till I get it Im just going to chill out and go over what I have to work with.

But yeah for 50 bucks and great tread swampers I want to utilize them badly. Im checking with the big truck tire shop tomorrow and see what they can do for the t98