Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ign conversion,

Default Ign conversion,

Does anyone know if any of the conversion kits will install in the 12 v dist? Ignitor, Pertronix, and mallory all make a kit, I was wondering if anyone had tried it?

One member, kalikraven, did it with a Crane kit...this is from the page I made for it that isnt online again yet:

One of our members, Kalikraven, managed to find a kit and work it into the stock distributor housing to give an Electronic Ignition upgrade...no more points!! Here is his info:

Using the stock breaker plate and the "new" plate that comes with the kit, I installed the Crane XR-1 electronic ignition kit. I have this running on 12 volts now. I added a 12 volt coil but have not changed the wiring.

The crane kit overhangs the plate a little bit. I had to make a little room in the dist by using a Dremel and removing a little material.

I used the Crane kit for a ford V8 because it rotates in the same direction. Got it from jegs for $65.

These are pics of the kit... I found Summit lists 3 part numbers for this, though all are the same price and have the exact same description. They show part numbers:

CRN-750-1700, CRN-750-1710, CRN-750-1720

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

There is also a member who has used the pertronix setup, but I dont have the details yet...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Thamks Jon. How does the v8 kit work? I get the cwr/ccwr thing, but what about the 'trigger' for the pulses?

That is all the info I have...I wish I had more....

Thanks. I'll just wait and see if someone has anything they haven't told about. Anybody???????????

Converted a Chevelle over to the Mallory unit , maybe 25 years ago . Didn't seem to affect the power either way , but was a whole lot easier to start . Still have not had issues with it up till now . It's triggered by the rotor .

I am running a Pertronix unit in my M715 (12v with a Chevy) I like it. Way easier to start, especially when hot.

Easy set-up. Clear instructions. No points to fool with. No more ballast resisitor either, with the Pertronix coil.

Best part: About a c-note with the coil, plus shipping.

It triggers from a wheel that slips over the dizzy shaft at the point cam. Air gap between the trigger wheel and the sensor is critical, and you must advance your timing a little.

This is the second Pertronix unit I've had. The first one was in my Unimog and it made a world of difference, too.

Twodogs, a part #? Getting rid of the resistor is worth it to me. Who did you get it from, JCW, Quadratec, local parts house?????

I have a Pertronix in my Austin Mini.....and it grenaded cause I used the wrong coil Gotta get a new one and a new coil.