Thread: M715 axel ratio change

Default M715 axel ratio change

Hello Folks, I'm the new guy with a new to me M715. I have wanted one of these trucks since I first drove one in 1977 while on Enewetak Atoll. I'm going through the options of what to do and what needs to be done. The first ticket item is the engine, it needs a small block. The second item is the gear ratio of the diffs. I've had it up to 55 so far but I swear it's going to explode if I stayed there long. I have looked everywhere for a set of R:4.56:1 ring & pinion sets but nobody has them. I keep hearing it's best to install diffs from a more current truck. Looking for your experienced input. Thanks.

Wow...welcome aboard!!

What were you doing on Enewetak? My dad was there in the late 50's during the nuke testing...didnt know it was that safe by 77...I know they put the big concrete cap out there but still...

Good luck with your M715...it used to be easy to get 4.56 gears...and even 4.89's were available as well as 5.13's...but now its hard to find the 4.56 and the rest I think are all gone years back...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Wow...welcome aboard!!

What were you doing on Enewetak? My dad was there in the late 50's during the nuke testing...didnt know it was that safe by 77...I know they put the big concrete cap out there but still...

Good luck with your M715...it used to be easy to get 4.56 gears...and even 4.89's were available as well as 5.13's...but now its hard to find the 4.56 and the rest I think are all gone years back...
    Wasn't the owner of BJ's looking for input on what axle ratios people would like to see manufactured again? I seem to remember something about that a while back.

A buddy (and member here way back) has 4.89's in his SBC-converted 715. They work really well in the back country.

Talking M715 in Enewetak Atoll 1977

Well the US Navy, US Army and US Air force were all commissioned to clean up the mess from the 50's when some 30+ nuclear tests took place. I drove a Boston Whaler transiting people all over the Atoll for the first 4 months of the first trip, then operated a landing craft Mic 8. Then I went back in 79 for another 6 month deployment driving my Maggie 4 Mic 8. The most beautiful place on earth as long as you don't need anything but diesel fuel and beer. Very vivid memories. Me and my then buddy George took a M715 and climbed up a topsoil pile about 40' tall over and over again. No alcohol involved. Now I can relive those days with this truck. I drove 1,800 miles one way to get the rig and it's in exceptional condition. Cant wait to get started.

Talking BJ's Offroad

Thanks guys for the ring & pinion info. Just ordered up a set. Time to get started!

Wow...wish my dad was still alive...he would love to have talked with ya about the atoll...

Good luck with the truck...ask any questions ya got!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Sent you a pm.