Thread: front hubs? need info!

Default front hubs? need info!

what is the correct grease for the front hub bearings? I pulled off the plate to replace the lockouts and on the pass. side. it has what looked like rusty wheel bearing grease, gritty, and on the drivers side there was what would be no more than axle grease in it. what is supposed to be in it? Im hauling it to Co. and dont need any problems so as im there new wheel cyl's and all are in order along with bearings and seals. thanks in advance.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

I don't know that there's really any "incorrect" grease you could use. Any general wheel bearing grease ought to do you fine. I use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease for mine.

From: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease

Virtually wash-out proof. Stands up to high temperatures and stays soft in very low temperatures. EP fortified and exceeds OEM specifications.

Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease was formulated for automotive, agricultural, heavy-duty and industrial applications. It is virtually waterproof and is more stable than all conventional lithium grease. It is fortified with an extreme pressure additive package and it exceeds OEM Lube for Life specifications.

Key Benefits
    * Lasts four times longer than regular grease
    * Virtually waterproof
    * All temperature stable
    * Exceeds Lube for Life specifications
    * The ultimate grease for high speed bearings

Not that any bearing in an M715 would be "high speed!" Heh, heh, heh....
    Last edited by Binford; June 8th, 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added a chuckle at the end....
    -- Tim Taylor

Tim, you can pull a 715 alot faster than it will drive. We hit some high speeds on the way to W.I.T.C. a couple years ago.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Good point. So you would agree that Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease would be a good choice for that, eh? But I posted that more for the chuckle than anything else!
    -- Tim Taylor

Dave, normal wheel bearing grease will work fine. The water proof boat trailer stuff isn't really needed if you sealed the lock out hubs on right.

Don't try to run the CO speed limit on I-70 of 80 mph either. Besides sucking gas like crazy, 60-65 and new grease will keep your M715 happy.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

True, but waterproof grease for the hubs/wheel bearings is just a habit from my CJ driving. We have a lot of puddles and creeks to cross along mountain trails and it's just plain hard to keep the water sealed out. I appreciate the extra protection a waterproof grease offers.
    -- Tim Taylor

No doubt the water proof stuff is better. However, the lube order just calls for wheel bearing grease of the standard type. So, I just tried to pass on to Dave that the stuff he uses on all the vehicles he works on will be just fine on his ice cream truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    I don't know that there's really any "incorrect" grease you could use. Any general wheel bearing grease ought to do you fine. I use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease for mine.
    So seconded!
    -- Tim Taylor

thanks guys! ill use lucus both sides looked more like 90 weight gear oil than grease but the left side looked pretty bad.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715