Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

I had no idea what I was in for when I posted my want ad for a bad top. I also did not know I would be attempting to create something for others. I ALWAYS make a free part for any person who sends me something to copy though. I have done that with several John Deere parts, Jeep parts, and a couple other things. All the things that surfaced from this endeavor are pretty darn cool. I have had moments of doubt. Great moments of so that's how you do that. I still have to go slow to try not to mess up days of work. I am progressing well on eightydueces second top.
    If I had installed the rear seam strap before finishing any lower edges and landed the snaps it would be just about perfect. All that bothers me is a small pucker on the passenger side panel. It almost goes away with the back pulled down tight. But not enough to pass QC I called him this morning to explain that this is part of the learning. I am in a self taught school and nobody is there to correct a miss step. All this is normal and expected when doing your own college course. I have to just apply what I learn and keep going. When you fix a problem or a struggle it is all worth it. I am pleased with how much better the tops are compared to my first one.
    I still need help with super straight stitches though. Guys that do this for a living are very talented.
    Jhartings I will probably sell them. Sometimes I don't want to. They are a LOT of work to make. And will be a lot more expensive than the canvas ones you can buy from the typical places. I keep saying to my wife, I will cross that bridge or jump when I get there. I do have a standard height top to make for a member after this one. I guess I answered that huh...

At this time I have decided I will not be making and selling these tops. I am finding limitations with my machine with features that need to be sewn into the tops, and I am also operating at the limits of my skill level. Yes I can make them but so far the time required is more than I want or have available to dedicate right now. I may change my mind later. But for now I am not able to sell them.

Teking I have sent you a PM. I know that there are problems with PM's on the site right now. Please let me know you got it.

Blog Entries

Got it. And no problem. THX!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Just to put a period on the end of this thread. I received to two tops that were made using the chopped bows. First and foremost I want to thank KaiserJeeps for all the hard work and effort he put into this project and in the end I couldn't be more pleased with the end result. Thank you again. AL, I was able to get the top on that you said might be too tight, but may have slightly mis-located a turnbutton or two but thats the best I could do flying solo. Like you told me, it was very difficult to yank down and mark the locations. Oh, and thanks for letting me use your tools, I'll get those to Fed-Ex this week for sure. Both tops look awesome and I have already gotten several comments on how good it looks and what a nice job you did.

Here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks sharp!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Blog Entries

Jealous .... I have gone to a local shop to get mine made now. $1500- $2000 is the initial quote. Gag.

And that was the top I rejected. The passenger side panel was a bit loose by the rear of the gutter. Then the latest top has issues to I thought. Not being able to secure the back down tight made it extra hard and quite the guessing game. The floating flaw I could never tell where it was going to be. It looks pretty good Bill. I am my own worst critic though. I am forever grateful you sent me your old top to get all this done.

Tom, I feel bad for declining to make you a top. I have a lot happening here that is keeping me from what I had hoped to do. Plus some of the challenges trying to be an upholsterer has brought on. The money will be well spent and the top they make will be way better than anything I could do.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; April 20th, 2021 at 12:09 PM.

@Kaiserjeeps I don't care what you say...That's a fine looking top and better than any GI top I've seen. One reason it's better is you made it with love... Where the person working in the factory just sewed it. They didn't make it, they just sewed the patterns together and didn't give a snot if it was right or not. Good work, old man good work!
    Zone holster maker