Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

Default Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

Ok guys and girls, the die is cast it is official. I have just acquired a caterpillar 3116 with the allison 542 automatic to go into my blue m-715. It is the 260 hp version and has the overdrive allison behind it. Engine and trans will arrive here around my birthday on the 18th of the month. (Happy birthday to me!) There are a few things that have to be worked out that I would like a little help with if anyone has the time. First off the weight is about 300lbs heavier than a 6bt combo. Do ya'll think the front springs will take the weight? What could be swapped in that would? The stock front and rear end are staying for now, but will get upgraded with axles and brakes unless i run across a set of deuce axles cheap before hand. Power steering is a certainty and this will be the first mod when the engine is pulled. Cat already has a PS pump. This being a medium duty engine/transmission the allison has no park, this will have to be addressed. If I retain the stock axles I think a line lock will be in order when the hydroboost setup goes in to act as a parking brake. Np205 transfer case will also be swapped in providing i can find one. This should be fun and will truly be the beast of all beasts, opinions observations are always greatly appreciated. Anyone that would like to get some wrenchtime on this is more than welcome. So what do you think men?
    COWBELL, you need more of it

oh and before anyone stated the obvious..........I know that I am a little crazy, but hey knowing is half the battle, right GI Joes? Snakeater

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Sounds like an interesting mod for sure.

The only issue I'd have concern with is using a line-lock as a park brake in a vehicle with no park. Line-locks can and do leak down after a period of sitting. I'd work in a mechanical park brake of some sort were it me.

I think the front springs will take the weight. It might even actually ride good then! I think with the added weight, I'd want a little more brakes, but if you aren't on the highway a lot, then see how the stockers (with assist of course) work out.

Other than that, I'd love to see some pics of this project.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Plan to get started on the teardown soon. So that when the engine gets here it can be set in the frame with little fanfare. I thought also about doing something similar to a pinion brake on the transfer case, basically creating something similar to the stock m-715 emergency brake. Motor mounts on the cat engine are a little funky, they are mounted at all four corners of the engine and the trans just hangs off the back. Does someone make a form of rubber isolator that i can add in between the motor mount and the frame brackets? It won't come with these and I wonder if the stock top-kick gmc stuff will elevate the motor too much.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Why not use four Chevy motor mounts in place of the Cat ones. May take a bit of fabbing, but should work and garner you easy to find replacements.

Oh, and hunt the street rod suppliers. They sell a nice disc brake for the driveline park brake setups.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

disc parking brake on a np205:
    disc parking brake

thanks. Pretty sure that will fix the parking brake problem. Good writeup man! Snakeater

Not too hard to swap the stock parking brake from the 200 to the 205. That would definately work, but I'd make sure I gave it a good yank on any kind of incline. Definately freshen up the brakes and add a booster but there isn't much you can do to the stock axles that wouldn't cost more than going with deuce axles.

that is the direction that I am leaning for sure. M35 axles are easy to find around here for fairly cheap,so there is no reason not to do it.

Well, I hope that this isn't a dealbreaker, and I hope that you were not misinformed or swindled somehow, but the AT542 is not an OD transmission.

As for the parking brake, The AT542 may well have a drum brake on the output. If not, one can easily be added.

For the record, I am installing an AT542 in my truck, so I am pretty familiar with it, and am not mistaken on these details.