Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED headlights

I didn’t report back either. I researched and researched. Then decided I don’t drive the M715 fast enough, far enough or often enough to spend the big bucks on head lights to replace ones that currently work.

However, my Miata takes the exact same headlights since my M715 is 12 volt. I do drive it fast, far and often. Like the M715 it has a wiring system that is considered weak for HID lights. LED is the obvious upgrade.

I got the Trucklite LED units from amazon. True plug and play install. Nothing extra needed. Big difference on electrical pull from the halogens. The Miata idle has to be set with all accessories off. Turning the lights on used to drop it 50 rpm. Now I don’t hear, see or feel any idle change when they turn on.

Then there is the light. I have never driven behind LED’s before. I expected an improvement. But not the dramatic difference I got. WOW! The pattern does take some getting used to though. Instead of a wall of light like I was used to. I now have two very focused beams. I am still messing with the aim because I started out with two beams with a small dark spot in the middle where they don’t meet.

That is the low beams. Much further reach with a very definite cut off on top. Road signs are brighter but don’t reflect glare back at me. Good side of the road light too. The beam is so well focused that I had worked them just a bit higher. Then with a trunk full of stuff and Jennifer in the car. I was getting flashed by oncoming traffic. One turn down and nobody else complained. They are that exactly focused. The lows are on all the time and do not turn off

The high beams add a wall of light in all forward looking directions. Another huge improvement.

I have not had a chance to drive more than about an hour in total dark at a time with them yet. With winter coming, I will get plenty of night driving. So far I am very much impressed. 10 years from now if they last as long as they are supposed to. They will have paid for themselves. Maybe.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thank you Barrman. Could you please post the Amazon link?

The price seems to jump around every time I look. I bought at $152 each.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I also found the best reviews and tech info on motorcycle forums. They only have one and are faster. They are passionate about light discussions.

Thank you.

I have just installed the Hikari/H4 combo in my truck. I had halogen sealed beams with relays and it's a very nice improvement over what I had. They are brighter and the light spread is very wide and even, whereas before I had two narrow beams that I had to carefully align, having to choose what areas I wanted lit. This is no longer the case.

I am not sure how well the rubber boots are going to do keeping moisture out...

My other M715 keeps tripping the thermal breaker in the military light switch, which leaves me with no headlights at the worst possible times. I'll be switching to these to bring the current draw down... As well as getting substantially better lights.
    Last edited by Mikel; October 28th, 2018 at 10:22 PM.

I just went over the top on led headlights for the m715. I got a deal on Jo speaker 8700 evolution j2 headlights designed for the new wranglers. At first I thought the cost ridiculous but after reading many reviews of people saying the same thing, and then saying that they are fantastic. I figured I’d give them a try. They installed easily and the light output, and quality is unbelievable. They deliver a huge amount of usable light in both low and high beam with a Distinct cut off line so as not to blind oncoming traffic. The look on the truck to me is not undesirable, if anything it makes the truck look even tougher. Although not for everyone due to the cost they are a great upgrade.

Pics? Sounds pretty awesome.

Don’t have any pics now, but i’ll Try to take some within a week or so.

I was researching the LED's for fire trucks and why they cost so much...
    You get what you pay for in terms of ruggedness and longevity.
    The housings, heat sinks and circuitry are much more robust on the higher end stuff.