Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate carburetor

Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    A header and a proper supply of petrol and you've got one of those hot Argentine motors. COOL!
    Haha, if I could find a way to squeeze a couple more main bearings, then I might be close to the IKA motors.

Currently I am running the 350 cfm 2-barrel carb, definately a major improvement over the stock single barrel. I'm only getting just shy of 10 MPG though on the highway.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

The intake ports could be modified for much better flow if one had the tools and talent.

The water on the intake side of the head comes in from the bottom of the stock intake, in the middle of that side of the head and nowhere else. The intake side of the head is a big hallway that runs from front to rear with all the ports breathing off of that.

If one wanted to, take off the stock intake and cut into the hallway on the head and make ports that line up with the ports to the cylinders. Then drill and tap the outside of the head for bolts/studs. Make an intake that bolts to those holes and has ports on it that go from the side of the head into the ports in the head to the cylinder...so there would be a couple inches of port on the intake after the standard flange area.

You could also cut out the side of the head from front to rear and make a plate that fit the internal, to cylinder ports and allowed for a manifold to bolt to it...this could be welded in...

One could even start with an existing I-6 intake off something else and use its flange area back to the carb mount as a starting point and make the part in the head to fit the manifold from the other application.

If one wanted to add a turbo or other forced induction, this would be something that would really help the breathing.

It seems so strange to make a crossflow head with an unshrouded hemi chamber, great exhaust ports, lightweight and sturdy valve train and leave the intake area more restrictive than any engine one can think of...even down to half the cubic inch or less in size.

Yup, I thought about doing that, I've got a couple spare motors...I'm just not sure about welding to the head. Isn't it cast?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Yep...its cast...requyires more skill but do-able...

Could always bolt a flange to the outside of the head and use the extended runners.

Alright, just to help anyone who isn't sure what we are talking about, I have to share some pics of the bad-a IKA tornado that was found in the Torinos. They did some cool stuff with them. Interestingly, some of the pictures show what appears to be a comparison from what we have, the 2 port "hallway" intake, to what they ultimately did with individual intakes. Or possibly they may have even made some with our type of intake and then later came out with the newer version.

68 M-715
    67 M-725

68 M-715
    67 M-725

Turbo is hot looking!

I like the 2nd image with the header...better than I found for the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    In response to the original question....

The stock 1920 1 barrel has worse fuel mileage and less power than the approx 350 cfm Holley 2415 2 barrel I now have from a civvy 230...there was also a 2300 Holley 2 barrel used on civvy applications, also approx 350 cfm.

The 2 barrel has noticible power and mileage increases as one doesnt have to hold the throttle open as far or as long to get the same speed.

With a stock 230, roughly 9 MPG was the limit. With a civvy ignition, Selectros and the 2 barrel, these changes done in stages not all at once, netted 12.25 MPG highway and single tanks in excess of 280 miles without a stop.

NOTE: The change to the 2 barrel DOES lower the torque right off the line. One can still start the truck n gear with the starter button and idle along at 500 rpm in 1st gear but when taking off from a dead stop 2nd gear, high range, one will notice the engine lugging a little where it didnt with the 1 barrel.

So, for low end torque, as small a venturi or venturis as possible...if there is even a 300 cfm or smaller 2 barrel out there that would fit...

If you are willing to sacrifice a little on the low end you can get better mileage and power across the rest of the rpm range with approx a 350 cfm carb.

Find a way for the intake side of the head to breathe better and you can go higher...as it is stock, the ports from the intake into the head, when figured in area, are only a slight fractional size different than the throttle plates on the 350 cfm 2 barrel...I believe the difference was less than 1% in total area across both...real close.
    Are you still running the Holley 2415 2 barrel? Did you change the intake?
    Jonnie

EFI exists in a 2 barrel setup already... its a bolt on affair..

2 barrel Holley EFI carb setup...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...-200/overview/
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

EFI exists in a 2 barrel setup already... its a bolt on affair..
    Very cool. But pricey. And it might be a tad large at 670 cfm for a stock motor.