Thread: Solid State Flasher Box Test

Default Solid State Flasher Box Test

Here is the solid state blinker box test:

Pin "A" to a light bulb which is grounded (I use a test light)

Pin "B" to a 24V DC source (12V will work)

Pin "C" to ground

When "B" is connected, the light should blink about 80 times per minute.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Additional Tests:

Another method for testing the solid-state flasher module:

Method for testing the turn-signal switch:

Turn-signal switch diagram:

Last edited by brute4c; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

My turn signals seem to work when they want to. I have a new flasher unit, but haven't installed it yet. Wondering if it could be the ground. One day the turn signals and emergency flashers will work, the next day not. Sometimes they work or won't work all in the same day? Any ideas?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

You are on the right track. Check your grounds and all the connections. I have never had a solid state military blinker box "kind of" work. They either work or they don't.

Now, I have had a few that light up either the blinker at the fenders or blinker indicator inside and not flash. Others will just not work in any way shape or form. Either fault, is permanent and constant.

I have found that most people have no clue how to check these things and will sell or give away good ones as "bad" at shows and gatherings if you ask them for faulty ones. For some reason we just don't throw the bad ones away.

I have a bag of about 30 now. 5 have tested as good. Not bad when all were free over a few years of asking for bad ones everytime I go near military parts.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Thanks Barrman, I do occasionally have the problem of the blinker light on the steering column coming on and staying on. Sometimes I can blink it manually by moving the lever up and down. Very weird.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

That is probably your blinker arm or 3 lever switch then. One of mine just goes dead on the blinker circuit until I jiggle the 3 lever. It happens with no pattern or reason too.

Thanks, I'll start with the ground. I've taken the turn signal box on the steering column apart and it looks brand new. My guess is maybe the ground on the firewall of the truck. I hate electrical problems, but I guess it's a fact of life when you own older vehicles.

Default Turn signal question

Barrman,

I have a related turn signal question.

Whenever I drive, I remember to turn on the upper lamp switch one click to the right so the turn signals and the brake lights work (but not the headlights). Often I forget to turn this switch off at the end of the ride. Will leaving the switch on hurt the circuit, drain the battery, or anything bad? Will the fuse blow to "save the circuit" if there is a problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

When you have the old style switch with actual levers, leave it on the first click to the right all you want. Unless you leave the blinkers on or have a stuck brake light, nothing bad will happen.

However, if you have a newer push button switch. You have to push the buttons and make it turn off every night or the battery will go dead.