Thread: Parking brake anchor spring/bolt

Default Parking brake anchor spring/bolt

Silly to even ask this, but does anyone have pictures of the anchor bolt/spring combo, and can you provide dimensions?

My truck came without the band, and I am getting everything back together, and these are the last two things I need.
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; August 26th, 2019 at 04:51 PM.

Give me 10 or 15 minutes and I will get a photo and measurements for you.

Here is a photo, measurements in a minute.
    You can see from the burned paint on the drum, where I have forgotten the park brake a time or two

The J bolt is 7/16" dia. with an over all length of 6 3/8". Length of threaded area is 2 3/8"
    The little anchor bolt with the fillister screw head is 1/4" dia.-- 2 3/4" length under the head.

Jeepdan, thanks man!

The anchor bolt and spring are located on the other side of the band...and that is what I am after. Know anything about those? If the image uploaded, I circled where the anchor bolt and spring live.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    Jeepdan, thanks man!

The anchor bolt and spring are located on the other side of the band...and that is what I am after. Know anything about those? If the image uploaded, I circled where the anchor bolt and spring live.
    Oh, OK.
    Let me look under there today with the camera, and try to refresh my memory on that one.
    I'm pretty sure that it is just a regular bolt (cap screw) that has had a hole drilled crossways through the head for a safety wire.
    Last edited by jeepdan; August 27th, 2019 at 07:30 AM.

I am thinking you are exactly right there on the bolt. I bought a spring at Ace that I thought looked 'right', but it is not...so I may need to go to Surplus Jeep and get one for $5 plus shipping, sigh...

I caved and called Surplus Jeep and ordered the spring ($5). Now I have to figure out the bolt dimensions, and drill the hole.
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; August 27th, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    I caved and called Surplus Jeep and ordered the spring ($5). Now I have to figure out the bolt dimensions, and drill the hole.
    Good call. I bought a few from them also. I decided to get a few spares.

I guess that I really can't give you more accurate details about the bolt without taking my park brake apart.
    For what it's worth, the hex head is a 1/2", so it's probably 5/16" bolt and fine thread for finer adjustment on the band clearance.

Remember, it's primary purpose is to act as a spring guide, adjust the band, and to hold the band from slipping off of the cast iron mounting lug. The mounting lug would take the rotational force.

I can't remember if the bolt hole is counterbored for the spring.

Had to throw in an extra photo just to show off.
    Last edited by jeepdan; August 27th, 2019 at 07:11 PM.

One more thing...

I think I would be ok eating off of any part of your truck.

Amazingly clean. You are an inspiration.