Thread: Clutch Problem

Continuing the rebuild of a 68 715. Engine rebuilt...runs good no leaks, knocks, or smoke. New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing. Adjusted clutch per the tech manual. Transmission will not go in gear with engine running and clutch pedal pushed in. Grind city.

Checked the pressure plate... it is moving away from the clutch plate when the clutch pedal is pressed in. Haven't looked at it when motor is running.

Any ideas....I'm not looking forward to pulling the transmission.

Pilot Bearing!

I do not know a way to check it without pulling everything apart, but that is what it sounds like to me.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

You can try adjusting the linkage all the way, so that the throwout bearing pushes goes as far in as possible. That would rule out a clutch problem.
    If your pilot busing is sticking that badly, I'm surprised the input shaft went in in the first place.

One thing you could do is to put the tranny in first gear and start it. See how much the truck rolls forward...

I am assuming you had the flywheel resurfaced while it was apart.. Did you clean off all the rust preventer they put on it??If not that could be making the clutch plate stick to it..

Default 14 Bolt rear

All gears or any particular one? First gear will take a few seconds to slow down to where it'll mesh.

Is it possible that the disc is on backwards and a rivet or the cushion springs are maybe hitting the flywheel bolts? I had something similar happen, being the 'tard that I am, and a flywheel bolt backed out until it touched the disc and wouldn't allow it to spin freely from the flywheel.

Chris

Start it in gear and see where it engages, if it is right off the floor adjust it accordingly. If it will not release, transmission pulling time. Sometimes the disks will have some loose fibers or facing that just needs burned off. It does not take much drag to make first tough as there is not a syncronizer to help wrestle the gear down. Glen
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!

Tim's right - Pilot bearing/bushing. And Greemmachine - start it with trans in gear, clutch pedal depressed, brakes applied. The bushing may be stuck, and just need broken free and "excercised".

I recently replaced the engine/trans powerpack in wife's Jeep,and had the same thing - for the first few miles - now all is fine.

You MAY have to pull trans and re-lube the bushing, but I bet you'll be OK without.

Warlock - shouldn't you be buying engine parts or sumpin? (yeah, there could be contaminants "sticking" the clutch top the flywheel or PP, but I'm giving the dude the benefit of the doubt and assume he cleaned it all up before assembly. UNLESS he used some NOS parts and cosmolene dripped out of hidden crevisses and is acting like glue - you may be on to something, there.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Many thanks to everyone (especially Bump_r). His idea worked like a champ. And I was soooooooo looking forward to pulling the transmission.

Bed, tailgate, windshield frame, troop seat hardware all goes to sandblaster tomorrow. Gets painted this weekend. It's actually starting to look like a M715.

Again many thanks.