replacing m715 engineTechnical Forums » Open Discussion Archives » replacing m715 engine
http://m715zone.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=openarchive&action=display&thread=1162377275

replacing m715 engine
Post by fhozaly on Nov 1, 2006, 5:34am

due to the limited power of the engine i am thinking to replace the engine by 8 cyl. v8 GM engine. so is it possible to fit this type of engine without any major modification and is it will effect on the performance of the car?
please if any one have an idea please help
Re: replacing m715 engine
Post by bigwheelbob on Nov 1, 2006, 7:57am

Um, Sir, Most of us have no car's here. However, the 8cyl GM engine fits nicely into our trucks.
Post by gimpyrobb on Nov 1, 2006, 8:36am

A 350 with the 465 trans behind it is common and painless. Relatively(sp?).
Post by Barrman on Nov 1, 2006, 8:54am

Look in the Modified board for information on swaps like this done in the past 6 months. Wait a few weeks and the online Manuals will be available again. There you can read about this kind of swap done over the last 8 years.

It is cheaper to find a complete 2wd truck engine and transmission. Then put them in the M715 as a unit. Depending on the engine, just motor mounts to make the engine fit, fabing a very simple transmission mount and maybe a little size adjustment for the short shaft to the t-case. I drove my 230/T98 powered truck home from work on a Friday, pulled it out and put in a 396 Big Block/NV4500 and drove the truck to work on Monday. The hardest part of the swap for me was the exhaust system.
Post by BinfordM715 on Nov 1, 2006, 9:58am

One of our members makes a kit that will adapt a Chevy V8 engine to the stock transmission and believe it even comes with motor mounts. It seemed to be a complete kit (meaning everything you need) and, while a bit expensive, was actually quite reasonable compared to similar kits.

Post on the "Wanted" board that you are looking for anyone with a kit like that and I'm sure you'll get a response.

Good luck!

P.S. Where are you from?
Post by robertcowan on Nov 1, 2006, 10:59am

thanks binford for the complement if you need and adapter kit cantact me.
bob
Post by firefightinsam on Nov 1, 2006, 10:54pm

My truck was adapted with a novak kit it left things a little crowded at the firewall. It's only a 305 chevy but doesn't want for power.
Post by sermis on Nov 2, 2006, 11:06am

After repoering my M725 with a 350 to the T98 I would change the trans also to an overdrive to drop the rpm's and increase the gas mileage a bit. 6-7 mpg with stock T98 at $2.00+ per gallon, ouch. Really want to go diesel.
Post by fhozaly on Nov 3, 2006, 11:38pm

thanks for the useful replies
Post by sancho on Nov 6, 2006, 1:33am

Has anyone looked into swapping in a 6.5 Turbodiesel?
Post by fisherman on Nov 6, 2006, 1:43am

Yep, pretty sure that's been done, I think a couple members have those in their trucks.
Post by fhozaly on Nov 6, 2006, 6:19am

dear friends

during my search in the net i found very usefull site which will help. this site will tell how to install some types of engines
m 715
i hope it will be usefully

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/chevy_buick_swap.htm

fhozaly
Post by Barrman on Nov 6, 2006, 9:38am

4 or 5 post up is one by Sermis. He did the Novak kit on his 725. But, as he pointed out. he is getting mid single digit fuel milage with the stock transmission. I put a 396 Big block and od transmission in and I am getting low double digit milage.

Plus, for the price of the Novak kit, you can get the transmission that was behind your new engine or most of the price of a NV4500. That is a better deal in the long run.
installing a bench seat advice
Post by shelleypeak on Nov 7, 2006, 10:54pm

I stuck the battery under the hood during the re-wiring process of this M-715 with w a 6 cyl ford truck motor. I purchased the truck in Auburn In. recently at the MVPA show for 1200.00. I would like to put in a bench seat and am looking for a posting I saw recently on this topic. The guy even had pictures which I would like to review. Please advise if I can still access this posting or if you have advice for me.

I am selling everyting else that I own with 4 wheels . This is one tough vehicle.