Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle with truck number two

Great stuff AL!! Welcome back!!!!

Nice to have a truck again and a goal for it...looks like a good start!

Just got home from Cali and saw this...SWEET!!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Welcome back Al!!!

Now find a truck for Binford, hes waterlogged by now .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Don't know Cody the FC guy but I do know there seems to be FCs thst come up for sale in Post Falls quite often, at least it seems often for FCs. I owned 2 FC170s years ago, it was fun to drive.
    66stepside is the member in Spokane I know of that is putting his M715 body on a Chevy sqaurebody frame.
    Where are you in N ID? Do you need a grill guard for your new project? I have some extras, built by someone who fed you in your M715 recovery mission.
    Adam and I went on a few road trips to go look at full size jeeps. a couple years ago. I have bought a couple small things from him. We don't talk much. He is a busy guy and once in awhile I check his project happening's.

Todd gave me one of his very nicely made grill guards. It was supposed to go to a member here years ago and he never heard back. So it sat in a corner waiting for me to come along. But thank you Glenn.

I live up 57 towards Priest Lake. We moved as far north as we could afford. Seems the closer to the lake you get the farther to the left the decimal is in your bank account. I love living here. The wildlife is insane and it is wise to look both directions when stepping off the porch. Twice I have unknowingly walked dangerously close to a bull moose. They are stupid and fast. We also have a cougar that has been here for a couple years now. She bags good sized buck deer just past my shop which is a good hunting spot. I can tell when she is successful because it pretty much stinks to high heaven for a while. 1 bear every square mile etc. I can say that this sure beats my old meth head drugged out neighbors in Oregon. We are super grateful to be here.
    I will PM you my phone #...

Well Jon, DP it is good to hear from you guys. I see you made the trip safely Jon. Thanks for keeping this site alive.

Actually Binford is coming to visit. I am super happy he is coming. I think he might be bring his smaller boat. Nick his son will be here also. Last time I saw his kids they were about two feet shorter.

And Fisherman has plans to come hang out. I can't wait till he gets here also. I could talk to him all night. We had a couple late night chats trying to stay awake.
    I plan on taking them to see the fire look out's and get out on the lake. We have visitors coming all summer. Hopefully with the corona virus and all. According to the news, we will all be dead by Sunday.

Barrman, thats funny. Nothing like being clean. I remember when I helped one of the guys on the trail with a strap by putting it around a big tree for a winch pull. I got it all hooked up and realized I was reaching through a large clump of poision ivy! Very allergic to all things like that, someone loaned me a gas can while I rinsed off with gasoline. Yuk, that was just gross but a win compared to festering weeping rashes for three weeks. Ah, the memories.
    Remember Will? Look at Al in his picher takin shorts... LOL.
    What a deal.... A regular hoot. I see Sisson has not been on here since 2012. That guy was a card.

So I might have a lead on a 8 lug front dana 60 in Post Falls down where Glenn is. A 1991 dodge 250 I stayed up late reading up on dana 60's. This axle could be a dana 61 and there are no decent gear sets for those. I replied that as long as it was not a dana 61 I was very interested. The ad was up for 18 days and the price seemed fair. Front dana 60's don't last 18 days here. I suspect he has a 61 and hopes a buyer does not know the difference. Dana 61's have 3.5 diameter axle tubes. Dana 60's have 3.125 tubes. The BOM number for a 61 is typically (for 91ish) 610358* where dana 60's the BOM number is 610357-* *=gear ratio by number This is for the 91 model year dodge. The axle tubes and BOM number are just about the only way to tell.
    I have not heard back from him on the second reply. The day is young though.

I had better get to work. I am currently reproducing tool tray sets for JD bulldozers. Everybody's waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser715 View Post
    Welcome back Al!!!

Now find a truck for Binford, hes waterlogged by now .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yes! He has more than one boat. A very damp disease...

So much for the 91 dodge front end. Looks like it was only 67.5 inches wide. Stock Dana 60 is 73.5 wide. I read the entire axle swap thread and all of Randyscycle's (Hi Randy!) work on Grantshires truck. All Randy's pictures were gone. So still partially confused I see I need to find a GM K30 60 with a width of 69 inches. Billavista's complete Dana 60 guide for the all unknowing is incredible. Also Thanks Jon for posting all the good info on our trucks. 21 degrees and one heck of a blizzard going on. Can't believe we still have power with all the high winds. Knock on wood...

Hi Al,
    I made 2" steel spacers for my Chevy D60 front. That puts me at roughly the same width as the stock axles. And the spacers allowed me to run stock M715 rims, just to confuse people

Keep em guessing... I am finding the stock axles are pretty wide compared to everything else. I never cared before because the first truck was stock and staying that way. This new rig is an open slate. I am just trying to make the right choices. I have plenty of time. I will try to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Keep em guessing... I am finding the stock axles are pretty wide compared to everything else. I never cared before because the first truck was stock and staying that way. This new rig is an open slate. I am just trying to make the right choices. I have plenty of time. I will try to be patient.
    Beware of running dually hubs with non-dually rims. Scrub radius will be terrible.

I must be getting lazy because I am looking for less work and expense than that Mikel. My cats meow is a K30 or cucv dana 60 front with 4:56 gears. And I found I already have a 96 Dodge dana 70 with 3:54's. They make a thick set of 4:56's to swap to the 3 series carrier in the dodge 70. It has a Powr-Loc already. I will have to move the spring pads and that is easy. Unfortunately I found it is a 32 spline rear shaft and not 35 as I hoped. So I don't hear of them breaking so I will run it for the 8 lug pattern and wheel choices. It is 70 inches wms to wms and the minor difference from the stock 70 can be made up with backspacing on the wheels. Now to find a 35 spline inner dana 60 from a K30 that is not 1800 bucks. Boy stuff has gotten expensive. Saxon in Seattle has a IH NP202 for me. Bigger gears than a NP205. With a mild Buick 350 I will never break anything (knocking on grounded wood).
    I have some extensive sheetmetal restoration work to do. I will probably start a build thread then. I have the 70 J truck for it. The stamping should be the same.
    10 inches of snow yesterday. Currently 1.4 degrees above zero. Brrrr. The 50's temps and melting snow was just a teaser. It is the most beautiful clear day out. I shall not paint anything today.