Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rpgdeity : Vacuum Advance

Default brute4c :

Re: Vacuum Advance
    Post by brute4c on Apr 23, 2006, 8:36pm

The rotation is COUNTER CLOCKWISE on the 230 distributors.

#1 on the cap should be up at the top near the engine.

If it is at the bottom and the adjustment does not fall into the normal range on the top and bottom adjustment slot, I would have to guess someone installed the distributor 180 degrees out and managed to make up for it with the 2 timing slots and reversing the wires on the cap...

My civvy distributor has the vaccum advance unit pointing at 6 o'clock as it leaves the housing...almost perfectly straight down...maybe just a hair to the 5 o'clock side.
    The #1 plug wire is at 12 o'clock to 12:30...almost perfectly straight up at the top.

Get yours in the motor like that first and then play with the timing...I have tons of room in both directions to adjust the timing.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 24, 2006, 12:13am

Thanks, I think my plug wires are 1 spot off. My vacuum advance unit is pointing at about the 4 o'clock position with #1 plug towards the engine. If I rotate the dist CW and move the plugs one spot over, then I would have room to adjust the dist both CW and CCW. I'm going to try this first thing tomorrow and see what happens. This might be important info to collect for future use, since neither of the two civvy 230 engine manuals I have seem to be correct.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 24, 2006, 8:27am

To check where you engine wants the #1 plug wire you need to:

Pull the #1 spark plug...pulling them all makes this easier as their is less resistance due to compression...and slowly turn the engine over, preferrably by hand with a thin screwdrver or other object in the #1 spark plug hole. Roll the motor until you get the piston to Top Dead Center...highest possible position as measured by the screwdriver or other tool.

Check the crank timing pointer to the timing marks and see if it is at, or very very close to, 0 degrees. If it is, good! If it is off, then you may have had the balancer slip...someone reported this happening to theirs about 4 to 6 months ago...

If the marks are good, then take off the distributor cap and see where the tip of the rotor is pointing...whichever wire position on the cap is directly above the tip of the rotor, thats #1.

Let us know what you find...