Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado outlawed all former military vehicles

Guys, not asking a dumb question here, but a M715 was an off the shelf pickup truck, and Jeep added a burly utility bed.

Are they going to not allow me to register my pickup truck?

I mean this is my go-to-Lowe's truck...my firewood truck...my throw kids in back and get ice cream truck.
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; July 16th, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

Bet you could register as a Gladiator.

The problems with mil vehicles....
    Factory, no seat belts, no padded dash, brake system is a single line type...there are other things but I don’t remember now....we’ll there is the “wasn’t designed for highway use”. Thing too...
    There was a law passed in 1968 that required the padded dash, seat belts, and the safety factor of a dual line brake system...
    These and other issues are why states are looking to limit the use of the mil trucks as on road vehicles.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I registered the truck and got plates a couple of months ago. What is the work around here should the law not be recast and loosened up?

1. Register as Gladiator...will they do that since I already registered as a M715?
    2. Prove that my truck has seat belts, and meets 1968 standards? Any idea how frankentrucks are inspected for this?
    3. Repaint the truck OD green, and letter it up, not my favorite option... I like my red truck.

If 1/2/3 don't work, what else can I do, other than sell my truck?

4. Maybe the best option...Hope that the officer that sees me driving home from Lowe's turns a blind eye. Lots of military folks around town LOVE this truck...
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; July 16th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.

I would just ignore it. Most people will not enforce or even know of that law.

One of the problems that was faced here when they did this initially was they made a blanket statement that military vehicles were never intended to be used as on road vehicles and thus could not be granted a license now to be used as such...not sure if Colorado did quite that or not...if they did, it doesn’t matter what you have done to it, they will just say no way Charlie.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I don't know much about registration laws in other states but...doesn't CO have specialty plates that will allow you to register the M715?

In NV, we have "Antique Truck", "Classic Rod", "Old Timer", etc. different plate designations that allows us to register some vehicles, if they qualify, for those specialty plates. It costs a little more, but some people like it.

If my M715, with the engine that came with it when I bought it, would not have passed smog, I could have registered it as an "Old Timer" which didn't need smog, but only needed to be 40 years old. But by a miracle it passed, and I was able to get veteran plates for it, which I wanted in the first place. Old Timer plates must not drive the vehicle more than 5000 miles in a year.

And, in NV, they use the smog stats from the year of the vehicle, not the type or year of the engine (or anything else) to determine if the vehicle passes smog certification standards.

In NV, seat belts aren't required in vehicles 1967 or older. Of course everyone needs seat belts...IMHO.
    Last edited by plumas.placer.miner; July 24th, 2019 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    Guys, not asking a dumb question here, but a M715 was an off the shelf pickup truck, and Jeep added a burly utility bed.

Are they going to not allow me to register my pickup truck?

I mean this is my go-to-Lowe's truck...my firewood truck...my throw kids in back and get ice cream truck.
    It might depend on what's written on your title, how the truck is described if you will. If it doesn't say "Jeep Military Truck", you're probably ok; few of the data entry personnel are going to know the difference.