Thread: Tuned port 383 iroc set up conversion

Default Tuned port 383 iroc set up conversion

IM in the process right now of building my engine to put in my m715 . I have almost all new parts for this conversion . I have a 1989 5.7 fully machined and bored .30 over 4 bolt main block to build a 383 engine . I have a new Painless Wiring harness and computer for fuel injection . I ported out all of the TURNED PORT INTAKE SET UP and have a new high lift CRANE cam to build a real torquey 383 . I have new (PCM CYLINDER HEADS) aluminum heads with 205 intake valves and 185 exhaust I think with roller rockers . new eagle crank and rods with keith black pistons . engine will be 10.5 to 1 compression . have new GM 26 lbs injectors . have a new motor support conversion kit from novak part number mmx-wc1 . and im going to buy a new nicely built 700r4 trans because I have the computer to run the torque convertor but AND HERE IS WERE I NEED YOUT HELP !!!!!!! SHOULD I GO WITH A DIVORCED OR MARRIED TRANSFER CASE ????? is one way better than the other ???? or is one way worse than the other ??? I hate a manual trans in a 4x4 because when on a hill doing the clutch pedal , gas pedal and brake pedal tap dance or hoe down !!!!!!!!! lol I want the overdrive from the 700r4 for the road . im keeping the stock axles with the custom made rims and 40 inch tires . I also plain on putting in ac with a tilt steering column and cruise control with all gauges from the stock 1989 WS Firebird donor car . BUT AGAIN NEED YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE !!!!! the np205 is not cast in stone yet because I haven't bought one yet but was going with that because of the strength and have a np203 and was going to go with making it a doubler with the np205 . but its a lot of work and money and may not go that way . but the np200 has got to go , the heat and noise is to much . I have no plans on going over 70 mph in this old rig but would like to cruise nicely at 60 mph at about 3000 rpm at he most . so that's it for now and I will try to get some pics up soon because I know I like to see pics of other guys rigs to help give me some ideals of their work and maybe some ideals for my set up to .

Default pics of m715

here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default some more goodys i am going to put on my m715

here are some more items I am going to put on my truck when I get around to it

Default Tires and old seats

These are the tires i put on my m715 40 x 16,5 pit bull rockers and the old seats i had in it from a wagoneer but now have mrap seats in it that are black

Use one of the online RPM calculators to see where you will be RPM wise, as far as the Tcase, married is simpler, I am running divorced because I had one....Unless you build the heck out of it, not sure the 700 or the stock axles will hold up to a ton of abuse (wheeling or burnouts)...I don't know what is available to mount married to a 700, so make sure it is beefy if needed too...
    Is that real money?

Default 700 r 4

As for the 700 R 4 automatic trans I am going to buy one that is heavy built . and for the stock axles I think they will hold up because even thou I plain on doing some heavy 4 wheeling I don't have a lead foot , I think the way I drive they will hold up because I don't plain on just slamming the gas pedal to the floor and just gunning it and giving it hell all the time . if I remember right the short axle on the passenger side front is the weak link of the axles . I have to say im leaning towards the married transfer case because there is 1 less driveshaft , 2 less uv joints and less work putting it all in the truck and making it fit . but as for the transfer case what would be a good choice ??? I was thinking of a np 205 because they are really strong but they are older and can I get one that will marry up to the 700 R 4 transmission ?? I plain on using around a 1989 or 1990 700 R 4 but did they make a np 205 t case that will marry up to it ??? also is the np 205 loud nosey or clunky ??

The 700r4 is pretty long compared to the T98 so a married Tcase is probably the best way to go. I ran a 350/700r4 with the stock NP200. Ended up not running a jackshaft, just a combo Ujoint between the transmission and Tcase. It shouldn't have worked as well as it did... but I ran 2 years like that till I got tired of the 350.

I don't know if GM made a 700/205 combo but it can be done. Found this thread at Pirate.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy.../topics/661416

I just scanned it real quick but sounds like you just need an adapter output shaft. Clue your transmission builder in and if he's worth a dang he should be able to get her done.