Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator

Default Let's get rolling on this, time is nearer than you think!

Lol, yes Lee, that is your truck.
    Or, at least it started as your truck. Hope you don't mind. I found it pretty hard to find any really good side profile photos.

thats fine. it looks great!!!!!!!!
    i can get more pics, of any angle and direction.... if yall ever need them. ill even host them.

Actually that picture I used works great. I have made a good number of different modifications to it for visual testing.

Back on the radiator topic, what is the best way to get good clean air to the radiator in the bed? I figure after I bob the bed, and maybe put the radiator in there, I will have enough room for a spare tire, also angle mounted (think baja), and maybe a small tool box. Batteries to either side of the radiator with an over flow bottle and a purge tank as the highest point of the cooling system.
    Still doesn't seem like the best setup for flow that keeps all incoming air nice and cool and clean.

Are you wanting to tuck them up front or in the back of the box? Are you against cutting an opening in the box floor? I'm thinking that is the best way to keep the hot air from recirculating back into the rad. You can have the air flow up or down, your choice. Down is going to stir up dust, up can pull the dust into the rad. You probably only need an opening 2/3rds the size of the finned area on the rad as there will be no restriction in the opening compared to the fins. You could build a plenum around them to direct and separate the air flow and then possibly use the plenum for mounting the tires or bat box. I'm not even close to this yet in either of our projects now and would appreciate if you would throw your random thoughts out as I have. One of them has to be a good one
    I am planning on doing dual radiators with bypass valves so I can run of Both, one or the other. I will probably also hard pipe to the engine bay with copper instead of hose.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

How about positioning the rad in the fromt of the bed, sloped downward in the rear a la desert truck. Cold air flow downward, then vented out either side of the bed at floor level through CH/YJ/TJ cowl grilles? Great hand warmers for winter trail rides, too! Tool boxes/tow straps amd such could be stowed under the cooling module shroud to keep warmed, thawed, secured, etc. Nothing sucks like a frozen solid tow strap.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I would be doing something similiar to how bump describes. I am not against cutting, but I don't want any extra foreign matter in my radiator. I need to go back and look at some more of the older desert racing trucks again and study how they did this.
    I will be hard piping it back with minimal hoses to allow for flex.
    Looking through Summit racing, I see cheaper aluminum rads that are up toe 31" wide. Talk about cooling surfaces!

Hammer, Doug what kind of pipe are you gonna use and what size , ie same ID as the hoses and prehaps some galvinezed (ok spelling is not my thing) running down the frame rail on the pass side. do you all think a luvered tail gate would do any good?

For the lazy ones. I put a black mash in front of my radiator (on a cj), barely visible, hold of rocks, stones, birds, ... and is a quick fix. Okay i know its not that cool

Tomcat - I'm doing the same with mine, it already has four mounting tabs in the opening, so why not? Paint it black, or match the rest of the truck, it should look just fine.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I do belive I've givin up on the whole radiator in the back idea. the 66 chevy truck I have has the same radiator dimensions as the 715 so I'll just switch them and make a grill of some kind. thanks for everybodys ideas.